Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Claim Of Plagiarism

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
51 of 61

Petra R wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

I dunno. It sounds more like a set-up from the start to me. Requiring manual hours is a scammer trick to get work without paying.

I do not believe for one minute that the client "required  manual time."

From what I can gather, manual time was allowed and the OP didn't know that to track her time properly she'd have to log her hours with the tracker.

The claims and facts reported are not incompatible. While it is true that no client can "require" manual time, in the scheme posited by Tonya, a scammer might well insist on manual time, even describe it as a "requirement," hoping to have found a freelancer unfamliar enough with Upwork's protection systems to fall for the gambit.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
52 of 61

I used to hire writers that would claim they ran things through "plagiarism checkers" and it was blah blah unique, but all I had to do was run a sentence in Google and I could see that all they did was take entire paragraphs of the first result in google and switch around words and called that "unique." Not even just taking an idea from a paragraph and rewriting it. Copy/pasted a paragraph and just switched some words. lol

And let me tell you, this happens A LOT. Friggin "writers" man.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
53 of 61

Jennifer M wrote:

And let me tell you, this happens A LOT. Friggin "writers" man.

Or 'writters', even. Cat Tongue

54 of 61

Holly J wrote:

I covered that base at least, and they claim they're not going to use any of my work, but I'm going to keep an eye on their website just in case. Even if they do use it, thanks to them inevitably disputing my time, I won't have the money to take something like that to court.

Thanks for your input, Petra, if anything I have some more great work for my portfolio, and I'm free to pitch it to magazines or use however I please.

Yes! Keep an eye on them. If they use your work file a DCMA Takedown notice. There is an app called CopyScape that some use to "check for" duplicate content. I first learned of it as a blogger because bloggers used it to catch content scrapers and other people who were using their work without permission. (I thought that might be the original use of that app). If you use it you can see whether the client sold it to another site.

The high volume they discussed makes it sound like they might be farming out work. I suspect they never intended to pay if they told you to only use manual time.  I am sorry that happened to you. There are some scammers who pretend to be "clients" and they look for new freelancers hoping you didn't read the help files or terms and conditions.

Jennifer S Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
55 of 61

You should also run your articles through a plagarism scanner (in case they use them on another website). That way you can pick up where your work is used on the web (if it's used). 

Keep evidence of your work before you send it to your client too, so you can protect yourself and give yourself evidence.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
56 of 61

Holly J wrote:

After doing some research it appears I was supposed to download the desktop app to properly track my time, which I did not know, so by entering in my time manually, I may have screwed myself on this deal. Again, first time user. So regardless of finished work being provided to them, judging by what you're saying, I'm not getting paid based on the way I entered in my time.

Since I don't do hourly contracts, this question might be a silly one, but here it is nevertheless:-  if one does not download the Time Tracker app, where and how would one enter manual time? 

Community Guru
57 of 61

Reinier B wrote:

Since I don't do hourly contracts, this question might be a silly one, but here it is nevertheless:-  if one does not download the Time Tracker app, where and how would one enter manual time? 

If you click on the job in "My Jobs" and then click "Work Diary," you can enter it there. One minor annoyance is that it changes back to UTC time after every week cycle so you have to remember to change it to local time or you enter weird hours. This isn't usually a problem until you try to use the tracker and it blocks you if you have overlapping time.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
58 of 61

Jennifer M wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

If you click on the job in "My Jobs" and then click "Work Diary," you can enter it there. One minor annoyance is that it changes back to UTC time after every week cycle so you have to remember to change it to local time or you enter weird hours. This isn't usually a problem until you try to use the tracker and it blocks you if you have overlapping time.

Weirdly, mine has remained on local time for weeks now--I don't have to switch it back each week. I expect this will continue for as long as it takes for me to stop remembering to check it. Then it will snap back to UTC time every week.

Community Guru
59 of 61

Phyllis G wrote:

Weirdly, mine has remained on local time for weeks now--I don't have to switch it back each week. I expect this will continue for as long as it takes for me to stop remembering to check it. Then it will snap back to UTC time every week.

oh weird. I have one contract where I only do manual time and I have to switch it back to local every week. grrrrrrr. Tedious stuff but annoying especially when you use tracker for other contracts and realize you can't track with overlapping time.

Jennifer S Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
60 of 61

Hi Holly, 

Sorry you are going through this too. It isn't a pleasant experience to go through, especially when you'ver worked hard and honestly. I'm starting to move off Upwork now, but I'd be happy to give you some tips. 

If you are just starting here, then I'd advise trying somewhere else. You could try somewhere like Guru - that hasn't given me any problems and I don't get a lot of money I've earned taken off from 'fees' and then money taken off when I want to take money out. Those were other reasons I'm deciding to move off Upwork. 

But. Back to the plagarism issue. You could file for a dispute (that's what I did), but I think it's $300 if you follow through to the final stage - I didn't have the money to pay it, so I couldn't. It's also a lot of money to pay. Before that though, in stage one or two (can't remember now), Upwork said they found no evidence of plagarism in my work - but still, they didn't get to pay me for the work done - only a third I think was paid for that, even though the client was found to be lying about the plagarism. 

Which is completley unfair. Also, if a Freelancer did plagarize and lied about it, they wouldn't have been paid anything and had their account cancelled (rightly so), but I don't see why clients shouldn't be held to the same standard. Which is the problem with taking cases like this to dispute; the rules are favoured for the client, and - most freelancers don't have the funds to take the dispute the full way. 

I hope you get your situationed resolved. 

Best, 

Jen

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS