cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False client account???

Susana B Member Since: Mar 27, 2014
1 of 5
Hi, I applied for a position posted by a person in Los Angelas and I ended up interviewing with someone in Melbourne of a different name than that on the account. The Melbourne person runs a local company there and was uncertain why the posting showed LA and a different name. Is this a scam? Their reviews and such are not applicable, for this was his first time using ODesk, since he was uncertain about hourly vs. flat pay. How am I to expect reliable pay if hired?
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
2 of 5
1) Probably a scam, 2) They only want to hire via oDesk but they are not willing to verify their payment method. 3) Or that account is from one of his staff, like a hiring manager. Always make sure that you are applying with a verified payment method listings. Regards, Najie
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
3 of 5
[quote=Najie B.]1) Always make sure that you are applying with a verified payment method listings.[/quote] Yes you can apply why not?? Just dont start work without a Contract and Payment method are verified. Some clients have their Payment method verified once they find the right Freelancers, some have to renew their Credit Cards. It does not always mean if a client payment is unverified the client is a unscrupulous.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
4 of 5
Scam? not necessarily. Client being new may have push some wrong button or with the glitches going around oDesk, it could have been an effect. have you talk to him in depth? Reliability of pay is never certain here, even with hourly (w/c is covered by a guarantee) there are ways an unscrupulous client can game the system. One thing that you should not do, Never start working without a Contract AND his Payment Method Verified. Its one way of minimizing your risk.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 5
I would contact support before working with the client. It is likely some strange oDesk glitch. If support can confirm it as a glitch, I wouldn't hold it against the client. Just make sure everything else goes right as others have discussed. I know that many clients pretend to be from the US when they are not. This fact puts a bad taste in my mouth and, although I often still work with such clients on small jobs, I could never see myself forming a solid, ongoing working relationship with such a client. The relationship began falsely, after all. I do wish that oDesk would be more strict and not allow clients to falsely portray themselves this way. These clients are often easy to spot as things just don't jive when reviewing their client information and history. Australian clients do not generally seem to purposefully deceive in this way, though.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS