🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » False information in Job Description. Client ...
Page options
4489e3c1
Community Member

False information in Job Description. Client refusing to pay for extra work.

Hello, I am a relatively new freelancer and recently took a job with a trustworthy looking client. The work was translating surveys and was stated as being 2200 words. The translating needed to be done on a quite poorly-designed website and so I couldn't easily count the words without going through 144 pages and copy-pasting. After finishing the translating I was unhappy with the client's new requests and complaints with my work as I thought they were unjustified, and so I counted the words of the survey which came to more than 4000 words. Afterwards, the client had sent me a Word document supposedly containing all the 2200 words I needed to translate, however it was clearly missing a large chunk of information. The missing 2000 words were contained in the survey and so it needed to be translated - there is no doubt about that. I was also asked to add additional translations to text she added to the survey half way through completion!

I later asked the client for additional payment to compensate me for the extra work, however the client refused and released the initial agreed-upon payment to me. 

My question is: is it fair for me to ask for additional payment, and do you think I would have any grounds to raise a dispute about this? Or is there simply nothing I can do?

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Hyemi Y wrote:

My question is: is it fair for me to ask for additional payment, and do you think I would have any grounds to raise a dispute about this? Or is there simply nothing I can do?

It is fair to ask. The time to ask was before accepting the contract. NEVER take someone's word for a wordscount. Do your own diligence.

You have no grounds to raise a dispute, because there is nothing to dispute. Only money in escrow can be disputed.

There is simply nothing you can do now.

PS: Having looked at the job post I'd never have applied or agreed to work with them, even if the client would pay my rates. All the warning signs of a poor experience and a nightmare client are right there in the job post.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members