Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: False promises of ongoing work

Highlighted
Community Leader
Joanne B Member Since: May 5, 2018
21 of 23

@Janean L wrote:

@ Joanne:  Quote: "I've explained my position in a post to someone else. 

Everyone see's things differently and that's all good. 

As for suing someone, well, I never mentioned suing anyone. I really do wonder why people drag things like that out of thin air! "

No, Joanne. We are not "dragging things like that out of thin air." We are responding to comments of your own such as:

Quote: "and don't provide it for no good reason you are breaking the contract agreed on. There are very few if any  industries that see a breach of contract as something 'you should just accept."

When you use phrases such as "breaking the contract" and "breach of contract," you are most definitely treating/describing the situation as if it is one with LEGAL implications, and not simply a matter of "misleading a freelancer."  René, Charles, Aron, and I (and others) are trying to point out to you that you are conflating a binding contract with a misleading promise or assurance.

You really shouldn't assume!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
22 of 23

@Anna T wrote:

Hmmmm..... Maybe it's just me, but I'm somewhat put-off by clients who claim to have more work.  Not sure, it just seems a bit demeaning to me.  Like, if they have to resort to that, I could only imagine what it'd be like to work for them. There have been exceptions (like a project that seems fun), but for the most part once I see that I just roll my eyes and keep scrolling.

Same here, but that's because I've found that more often than not, these promises of more work come with the expectation that the freelancer will charge less in return.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
23 of 23

I wish I could find one of Jenn M's responses to this question - which was that she didn't want more work. She wanted more money and less work.

Upwork cannot be held responsible for these nebulous promises. Upwork is not a nanny state. If a client says "I'll give you more work with milestone two" - that is fine - but don't count on it. Just get paid for milestone one, before agreeing to the next project. If it doesn't exist (despite anything the client has said) ask the client to close the contract and move on. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS