Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Favor the Freelancers More

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jonathan P Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
11 of 41

There should be a way to filer out the searches. Even if it tells you where it organites, it doesn't change the fact that my feed is getting flooded with jobs that are geared towards a different market. If the client is looking for work down out of India, than  there should be a way for them to target that market. I might get a direct message from a client looing for specfic work, but if i search for say blog writing jobs, than my search ends up getting filled with jobs that are not geared towards my region. A blog post should be about $15 to $20 a piece, not $1 for 500 words. I'm sure there are some markets where that is an acceptable rate, but I shouldn't have to filter through hundreds of jobs llike that just to find a client who is looking to outsource to the American market. Scammers are easy to pick up, this post is more reltated to making it easier for freelancers to land jobs that is going to match their regions better.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
12 of 41

I'm not saying that some regions should make less than others, I'm just stating that the way the global market is, prices for the work place can change drasticlly. There are some areas that outsourcing the work to can end up be a lot less than what you would expect to be making in other markets. If there is a flat rate that needs to be charged for the work regardless of the area than that is fine. If Upwork wants to keep the market place at the point where the contracts that are being presented are geared more towards places that tend to have lower wagers to begin with, than effectivly they are pushing out freelancers who need to have that bare minimum. I think every one should get paid a fair wage for honest work. $1 for 500 words is low for anyone, there have been contracts up where the price has been around $.08 for 600 words. I don't see how allowing for clients that are only wanting to pay that wage are allowed to post jobs on here. That drives the value of all of work down and makes it so the website is attracting customers who are looking for that wage. Generally people pay more when they can expect to get higher quailty work, which comes from us being able to get contracts that properly reflect the quailty of work. So basiclly if the contracts are going to reflect the global marketplace, than the contracts should be sorted in a similar fashion. My choice of wording wasn't the best in my previous statement.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 41

There also be a time frame that clients are allowed to have contracts up. If they have been inactive for a month than the job shoud come down. Filling up the job feed with clients who posted a couple months backs is a waste of connects and it makes it more frustrating when it comes to being able to land a gig.

Highlighted
Rushabh M Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
14 of 41

I agree with everything that is said here. Upwork is highly skewed toward the clients.

1. 11.11% commission + $2 direct bank transfer charges + 5-7% ForEx converstion charges is too extreme. Elance charges 8.9% as commission, and gives 1 free local bank transfer per month. For low-paying jobs, the freelancer hardly gets anything!

2. Clients, especially the ones looking for resumes/CVs, ask for templates from freelancers, then cancel the job and decide to do it on their own. There should be a process where we can complain, and at least get our connects back when the client cancels the job due to personal reasons.

3. Odesk is famous for its cheap jobs, and there should be a limit to how low a job can be priced at on Upwork. $15-20 for a Resume or LinkedIn rewrite and $1 per 500-word articles should be disallowed.

4. It's scary to know that Elance might be integrated into Upwork very soon. I have been working on Elance for over 2 years now, and the quality of work and clients there is far superior to Upwork, charges are much less, and clients are very respectable.

- R

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
15 of 41

From what I've seen on Elance it's mostly the same rubbish as on here. Anyway, if you hate it so much, you're perfectly welcome to leave.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 41

@Ramon B wrote:

From what I've seen on Elance it's mostly the same rubbish as on here. Anyway, if you hate it so much, you're perfectly welcome to leave.

It's a lot to weed through that's for sure. The secret to success on Elance is invites, repeat customers, and talent cloud. If you got those three things in your corner, you're golden. I still wander out to the open market and there are some gems. It just takes some time to find them. And you need the patience to work with lots of different personalities.

I just won a big project from a referral from one of my Elance customers. She offered to pay me through PayPal, which would have been legit. But I do love their escrow system. I split the $300 escrow cost with her. Their escrow system gives me peace of mind.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
17 of 41

So putting a post with suggestions to help everyone make a little more money means I hate the site? I like the site but feel the company as a whole could do more to help freelancers land better paying gigs. The more money the freelancers make, the more money upwork makes. Also the better the pay the more incentive people have to do higher quailty work, which in turn will start attracting better clients to the site. If all of the jobs are low paying and are being given to freelancers who need to stack up numerous contracts or have to always compete with people who are going way to low on the contracts, i.e. a job that should be 20 dropping down to only a couple of dollars, how is that benefical to any of us on this site?

Highlighted
Rushabh M Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
18 of 41

@Ramon B wrote:

Thanks for your opinion. It's good to see you agree that there is indeed rubbish here on Upwork.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
19 of 41

@Rushabh M wrote:

I agree with everything that is said here. Upwork is highly skewed toward the clients.

1. 11.11% commission + $2 direct bank transfer charges + 5-7% ForEx converstion charges is too extreme. Elance charges 8.9% as commission, and gives 1 free local bank transfer per month. For low-paying jobs, the freelancer hardly gets anything!

Commission is 10% not 11.11%

2. Clients, especially the ones looking for resumes/CVs, ask for templates from freelancers, then cancel the job and decide to do it on their own. There should be a process where we can complain, and at least get our connects back when the client cancels the job due to personal reasons.

I've never been asked for a template in all the years I've been in the Category of Resume Writers. 

3. Odesk is famous for its cheap jobs, and there should be a limit to how low a job can be priced at on Upwork. $15-20 for a Resume or LinkedIn rewrite and $1 per 500-worid articles should be disallowed.

I totally diagree with a starting limit. Anyone who works in the price range you quote for starting, in the Resume section is not likely to be producing quality work. Most good freelancers simply ignore those jobs and the client gets the message.

4. It's scary to know that Elance might be integrated into Upwork very soon. I have been working on Elance for over 2 years now, and the quality of work and clients there is far superior to Upwork, charges are much less, and clients are very respectable.

I also have a profile at Elance and it's as bad there as it is here. I see NO difference.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 41
re: "One way Upwork could really help out the freelancers is somehow filtering out the clients who are too cheap to pay a fair rate."

You seem to object to the fact that Upwork provides you with the freedom to filter clients based on their rates.

You have the freedom to decide what a fair rate is.

You also have the freedom to hire contractors and determine what rate is appropriate.

I think you should appreciate all of these freedoms, rather than asking Upwork to decide for you.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS