Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favor the Freelancers More

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jonathan P Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
1 of 41

So I doubt this is going to do any good but here it goes, I think that Upwork needs to start favoring the freelancers a little bit more than they do. The guidelines that they post, while helpful, doesn't change the fact that finding work is becoming more difficult. The connects system has done very little with lowering the amount of people applying to jobs (like what it was claimed to do). Trying to go for the top rated badge is easy, until you end up having a hold thrown on you for a "review" or in some cases no reason at all. With 10% of the earnings going to the company, they should put more energy into giving freelancers work. I understand that goes to site maintence, but we are the ones doing the work. Upwork shouldn't in theory be a glorfied craigslist. I've landed some good gigs on here, but at the same time I've been stuck working for some pretty terriable clients. I'm sure there are going to be some peope who disagree with me on the statement that Upwork isn't favoring the freelancers enough, but if we are the ones doing the work, than the "management" or what ever you want to call it should do more to earn their 10% and pair us up better with clients or make it so that clients can post jobs to different regions so the pay and work can better match the areas the freelancers are working out of. If you are at 90% on your job completion that should be enough for Upwork to want to invest more time and resources into you. Afterall, the more successful the freelancers are, the more Upwork ends up making, or am I wrong on that statement?

Highlighted
Jonathan R Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
2 of 41

One of the biggest problem I encounter on the site is low paying clients. Writers should be making at least $20 an article, regardless of word count, and that is a lowball estimate. The fact people actually pay $1 for 500 words on this site is completely ridiculous.

One way Upwork could really help out the freelancers is somehow filtering out the clients who are too cheap to pay a fair rate.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 41

Yea that's why I though in the region. Depanding on the country you live in, the wage makes a huge difference, in the United States, writing for a few pennies is going to push you to be broke, where as in other countries you are not going to do that bad. Lumping the contracts all togther is not only hurting the quailty of the work but its making it so the high earning freelancers can't land contracts that are worth the time to do. A little more effort on the part of Upwork to help filter the clients better will increase the profits for everyone across the board.

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
4 of 41

Hi,

While I agree with JP that there needs to be a limit as to how low a client's pay should go, I'm not for the view that low wages are alright for some regions. This being a global market, I think opportunities for job selection should be open to everyone on equal footing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 41

Why then are freelancers identified by country? I agree it is a global market and therefore no one should be identified by country. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 41

Both clients and freelancers should be identified by country. Some clients and freelancers use that information as an indicator of what caliber of match might be possible.

On occasion, I need to work with someone with an excellent command of the English language. It might be a specific US, AU, or UK variation of the English language. In these cases, I would prefer to search by native English speaking countries first in order to attain search results with the most opportunities to match my needs.

I do recognize that there are many persons from non-native English speaking countries that read, write, and speak excellent English. Furthermore, there are clients and freelancers right here in the US that do not have good verbal and written communication skills. Nonetheless, more persons with those skills reside in native English speaking countries.

Did you know that there are clients and freelancers on this platform from countries that the US Government has banned for various reasons?

Why should where a person resides be such a big secret anyway? More dumb Upwork reasoning?

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Natalya P Member Since: Jun 3, 2015
7 of 41

"Both clients and freelancers should be identified by country. Some clients and freelancers use that information as an indicator of what caliber of match might be possible."

Um, I have to disagree on this. A country of current residence does not, in any way, represent quality or anything related to it. One can be US-born and educated professional and reside in, say, Vietnam, currently. He has to specify he's from Vietnam on his profile, but he's still a native speaker, isn't he? That's as far as language issues go.

As for other qualifications, I'd say country of residence is more often used for bias in decisions, based on common rumors like "Programmers from there are so slow" and "Writers from here are dirt cheap", which has very little to do with quality provided by the individual. There might be the greatest writer (for example), who knows exactly about your topic sitting on the beach in Goa and teaching others perfect English.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 41

When you look at different regions there is a price range that clients are expecting the work to fall into. If you look at manufacturing for example, its more cost effective to have the manufacturing side in China and than important the products into the United States. Companies don't do this because they hate America but because the workers rate are generally lower than what you are going to find in the United States. I'm not saying that this system is right, but it is the way it is. The same goes for freelancing. Clients that are looking to have posts made for $.08 a word are generally looking to gear that towards one area more than another. While these views don't reflect the real quailty of work that you are going to get, they are a reflection of what the clients are expecting based on the current global market.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
9 of 41

Hi Natalya! I respect your opinions, but just for the record, my opinions are based on decades of experience not bias of any nature.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 41

@Jean S wrote:

Why then are freelancers identified by country? I agree it is a global market and therefore no one should be identified by country. 

Well, you can weed out some scammers who say they are in the US and you realize that they aren't. I have one talking to me now who I know is trying to scam me. US account but definitely not in the US. It's been a long while since someone has tried to get free work out of me using one of the common writing scams! I might play with him.

Elance had to pay me out of their pockets $1200 (I actually lost $150 on it too) on a project where I didn't pick up that the guy wasn't from the US until I already started working. It was hourly and by the time his credit card failed, I had already put in several hours. Then, he tried to get me not to report it by saying that he entered a bank account and it would take 5 days to clear. 2 weeks later Elance had to foot the bill.

Most of the time, if someone is trying to scam me, they have a US account and they are not in the US.. language, time they respond, etc. You pick up on these things after doing it long enough.

For me, I don't bother with certain countries because they don't have money. Plus, time zones drag out the project. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS