cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favor the Freelancers More

Highlighted
Jonathan R Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
31 of 41

To be honest, I think the biggest problem on Upwork is the clients it attracts. From what I've gathered, a very large percentage of the clients on here operate like freelancers themselves, who are likely outsourcing their own work loads and pocketing the difference after they submit the article to their clients. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
32 of 41

@Jonathan R wrote:

To be honest, I think the biggest problem on Upwork is the clients it attracts. From what I've gathered, a very large percentage of the clients on here operate like freelancers themselves, who are likely outsourcing their own work loads and pocketing the difference after they submit the article to their clients. 

Yep. It's called freelance arbitrage. I once had a potential client (on Elance) try to hire me to rewrite the copy for the online course he was selling that taught people how to do it (amongst other things, like how to "legally steal" other people's content). Once I took a closer look at the course details, I let him know he could find someone else.

Favourite part: His Skype handle was "Marketing Rockstar" and when I asked him to fill out a fairly basic Target Customer questionnaire, his response was "This course is for EVERYBODY."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 41

re: "I think the biggest problem... outsourcing their own work loads and pocketing the difference after they submit the article to their clients."

You may be right, but this represents only a very specific perspective.

Most contractors on Upwork are not writers, and most jobs on Upwork do not involve writing articles.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
34 of 41

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I think the biggest problem... outsourcing their own work loads and pocketing the difference after they submit the article to their clients."

Most contractors on Upwork are not writers, and most jobs on Upwork do not involve writing articles.

Freelance arbitrage doesn't have to be for article writing. It can be for code, for graphics, for web design, etc. All it takes is finding a reliable base of low-wage (generally poorly-skilled) workers who struggle to find work on their own. Usually these workers struggle to find work because their applications are bad and their lack of skills shines through. The arbitrageur (actual word, no kidding, I just googled it) just needs to be able to represent him/herself as a competent worker who's willing to work cheap (though not as cheap as his/her own workers') rates.

Clients look at the application, see someone who presents themselves well and seems to know what they're talking about, and then fall for the suspiciously low rate. A few days or weeks later, they receive the work, and it's typically garbage.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jonathan P Member Since: Jun 28, 2015
35 of 41

I was just using the writing for making the point simple. I do a wide variety of different jobs on here and the same principle with the way the pay changes is across the board.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ehsan K Member Since: May 22, 2015
36 of 41

@Preston H wrote:

Even though I'm just using the site for a couple of months I can tell you that it's also happening quite frequently in the finance and market research space. The clients sometimes even acknowlede it openly. In some cases it's legit if the client actually needs help because he/she is short on time. However these clients are familiar with the subject. It really gets frustrating when the clients know nothing about the work they are requesting. Basically a waste of time if you first have to explain them what they are requesting.....

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
37 of 41

I've been having the same thing happen. It is beyond annoying or when they hire you for Job A when they where really looking for Job B to be done.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
38 of 41

The writing is to give an easy to follow example as to the situation with marketplace. The same principle can be applied to any of the jobs that are on here. Should we have to go through every job on here to explain a universal point?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
39 of 41

@Jonathan R wrote:

I really want to comment on this, and hope I don't sound "preachy". I've seen countless forum comments from good writers (based on your profile feedback, it would appear you are one of those), in regards to getting good clients on Upwork. Note: I am not a writer, thank goodness. It seems writers on Upwork have a really tough time of it.

However, I can say that when I bid my services to Upwork clients during my first 2 years on Upwork, I didn't care what sort of client I went after. Later, I became much more focused, and began only looking at clients who had an actual "business" and I became choosier about what industries they were in. Once I started to do that, my freelancer career improved a lot.

Now I support a crazy small niche (at least here on Upwork), but the pay is much better and the clients are legit.

The point of this is to say that yes, there are lots of good clients here who will pay good money for a US writer that has a "voice" they like. It just takes time to find out how to identify those clients when their job descriptions seriously lack details, etc.

While I do wish that Upwork would make it easier to "research" clients, I realize this may not be a top priority. Meanwhile, we all have to work a bit harder to find good clients, but they are here.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
40 of 41

I don't understand why making it easier for freelancers to get good clients wouldn't be a top proirity. Good clients raise the value of all of our services, attracts more clients who are willing to pay a fair wage, and makes Upwork more money. If the only skill that you have is writing, than you are going to find yourself struggling to find gigs that are going to be worth doing. The connects system didn't help make it easier. I don't understand why there is a lot of objection to reworking the system so that all of us who are doing the work are able to make more money. If it takes 100 something bids to get one client to respond back to you, and a couple hundred more before you the client who is going to pay a fair wage, than it has less to do with the freelancers and more to do with the system that is being used. There was a post that was put up about a top rated freelancer leaving the site because of these reasons. I am sure that the majority of the freelancers on here are working hard to make sure they are able to deliver the highest quailty product that they can.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS