cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature: Message all applicants at once

bb97488d
Russ E Member Since: May 21, 2016
1 of 13

Upworks should impliment a way to message all applicants at once who applied for a particular job.  For example, 99designs.com has a feature to message all applicants for a particular project.  However, with Upwork, you have to message the applicants individually.  It's very tedious and time consuming for me as a client.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

No, just no.

First, this would be abused to high heaven by scammers. 

Second, if someone wants to talk to me, they are free to talk to me. I don't want their 45 global messages clogging up my message center. 

85baa6a6
Janis B Member Since: Sep 29, 2016
3 of 13

I as well would like to see this feauture on UpWork as it is very inconvenient to click every freelancer if I want to make anouncement to all the job applicants the same message.

Istead I have to copy/paste it. How can one even think of this option being a "SPAM" tool?!!!

I launch job -> 20 freelancers apply -> I have something to change in my job conditions or I want to close job -> I make anouncements to all who applied for the job -> easy done

Now alternative: 

I launch job -> 20 freelancers apply -> I have something to change in my job conditions or I want to close job -> I have to click 20 profiles and to copy/paste every one -> TIME CONSUMING PROCESS and one may even choose not to do that, just abandon the communication within the job. Frelancers remain uninformed and in waiting expectations...

Where is a "SPAM" anology here?!!!

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Ross,

just to understand... what kind(s) of message(s) would you want to send to all applicants?

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
5 of 13

I think spam and scam activities should be weeded out, not helped by means of enabling them to mass message anyone, being it just applicants or not.

e2c3eb8f
Robert M Member Since: Mar 23, 2020
6 of 13

I know this thread is old, but I don't really care.

***Pet peeve #483: Getting mad about threads that get revived. Guess what? There are more people on the internet than just you. A thread can be helpful for years and years to come regardless of when the answer to a question comes.

Ok, now for my answer. Maybe I want to message all of the applicants to say because of a global pandemic (COVID-19) I have not been able to select an applicant yet. But, fear not! I will get to it.

tta192
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
7 of 13

Robert M wrote:

***Pet peeve #483: Getting mad about threads that get revived. Guess what? There are more people on the internet than just you. A thread can be helpful for years and years to come regardless of when the answer to a question comes.

Ok, now for my answer. Maybe I want to message all of the applicants to say because of a global pandemic (COVID-19) I have not been able to select an applicant yet. But, fear not! I will get to it.

Sorry to disappoint you but applicants don’t care about your reasons and/or excuses. You’d simply waste everyone’s time (including yours). Just make sure to select those who seem like a good fit and message them individually(about the job, not pandemics).
Such a functionality would only serve spammers and scammers to get free work, personal details and so on.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 13

Andrei T wrote:

Robert M wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you but applicants don’t care about your reasons and/or excuses. You’d simply waste everyone’s time (including yours). Just make sure to select those who seem like a good fit and message them individually(about the job, not pandemics).
Such a functionality would only serve spammers and scammers to get free work, personal details and so on.

To expand on what Andrei has said - hopefully slightly less harshly - for us freelancers, it's a red flag when we see that a client is "interviewing" lots of applicants (because that's what it looks like when you message lots of people). That's usually the sign of a client who is running a scam. Also, some freelancers won't apply to a job if they see that a client is already interviewing even one freelancer, because they assume that it's too late (i.e. it looks like the client is already in the process of hiring someone).

The other problem is that if you message all freelancers, then they'll be able to message you back (the client must initiate contact, but then the gates are open). You'd be inundated with messages from people begging you to hire them. 

b60f4818
Matthew K Member Since: Dec 28, 2020
9 of 13

Andrei et al,

Your comments are pretty pointless in this post.

It is a big problem on the client end to not be able to broadcast messages to all applicants at once. 

Let's leave it at that and let Upwork sort out how to make things better for the client who is doing the hiring.  

gina-herrera
Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
10 of 13

Matthew K wrote:

Andrei et al,

Your comments are pretty pointless in this post.

It is a big problem on the client end to not be able to broadcast messages to all applicants at once. 

Let's leave it at that and let Upwork sort out how to make things better for the client who is doing the hiring.  

"Your comments are pretty pointless, let's let Upwork sort it out", says the person that just resurrected a post that was last addressed in March 2020... lmao

If you think of your project like a job / job interview (even though freelancers are independent contracters), it makes perfect sense why you can't message all applicants at once, just like you wouldn't for an actual employee hire.

If we, the freelancer, took the time out of our day (in theory because I know some people don't put in any effort) to submit a well-thought out proposal and read through your post carefully, why would you not want to contact us individually and customize your response just as we did, other than out of pure laziness? Why is your time more valuable than ours? Why would you not want to immediately filter out bad candidates based on a crappy proposal, etc.? what an eye roll this entire idea is.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS