cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Bitcoin payments

adam25
Adam M Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
31 of 36
What's the benefit of offering other currencies? Very little in my opinion. Bitcoin offers an immediate transaction with barely existent fees at a global level. It's a huge benefit. What about people in countries where they really can't trust their banks, Argentina, Venezuela, Russia etc? They have great talent and I'm sure they'd love the security of bitcoin payments.
fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
32 of 36

@Adam M wrote:
What's the benefit of offering other currencies? Very little in my opinion.

Which neatly sums up the value of your opinion on the topic. If I could get paid in Euros I wouldn't lose any money in currency exchange. That seems like a benefit to me. Please try to think outside your bitcoin obsession for a moment. Most people here are more concerned that basic functionalities like messaging, search tools and invoicing don't work or aren't even implemented.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
adam25
Adam M Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
33 of 36
The money has to be converted at some point in the process unless your employer is paying euros. Still goes out of one bank and into another which means fees. Then what are the chances of having all currencies added as payment methods?

My original request is for bitcoin also because I'm a digital nomad and have to deal with many different currencies. I'd rather just deal with bitcoin and not have to worry about that.
geoff55
Ace Contributor
Geoff F Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
34 of 36

Adam and others

I've looked at Bitcoin and have found good, rational arguments on both the pros and cons. It may have a place but for me personally at this time it is not an issue. I agree that fiat currency will collapse, as it has many times throughout history and at that time Bitcoin may really come to the fore. But what you are missing here is that Upwork is a privately owned company and like any other business it operates first and foremost in its own best interest.

If Bitcoin makes sound economic sense for Upwork they'll possibly implement it. Whether Microsoft, Apple, Overstock, Costa or Starbucks use it is irrelevant to Upwork and that Fivrr uses it is not necessarily a recommendation.

Your best approach would be to put together a sound business case for Bitcoin and present it to the shareholders and management and take it from there.

What is not a good approach is posting in the forum from a perceived position that this is what we believe and you shall believe the same. **edited for Community Guidelines**

Adam M wrote:

"What do you mean 'promoting bitcoin'?  It's a request, not a promotion."

And a request is exactly what the OP was. Sadly the thread has deteriorated from there.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
35 of 36

Hi All,

While we appreciate the discussion and your feedback, we would like to ask you to please be mindful of the Community Guidelines and treat other members of the Community with respect. Several comments have been removed from this thread.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
36 of 36

Hi all,

We appreciate the debate surrounding Bitcoin and will share the dialogue with our team. We'll continue to evaluate all payment/withdrawal methods so that we can provide users with options that make the most sense for them. 

That being said, as Valeria mentioned, we've closed this thread to further comment. The dialogue in this thread too often violated our Community Guidelines and rather than continue removing/editing comments to avoid further confrontation, we have closed it to further comment. 

Thanks,

Garnor

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS