🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feature Request: Completed Jobs on Profi...
Page options
tomhanderson
Community Member

Feature Request: Top Completed Jobs

Hello,

I've done over 50 projects and of those, there are a dozen really good feedback, much average feedback, and much empty feedback.

I want to be able to flag a work history entry as a "Top Completed Job" so the important jobs, e.g. >$5k with good feedback, are shown first and in the order I choose.

Currently, work history has two tabs:  Completed Jobs and In Progress.  I am requesting a new tab at the first tab position called "Top Completed Jobs" and a rename of Completed jobs to "All Completed Jobs".  Top Completed Jobs (TCJ) will only exist if at least one job has been flagged as a TCJ.  Freelances should be able to flag up to 10 completed jobs as a TCJ.  Jobs on the TCJ tab should be sortable.  

On my profile, I have a very good review on page 2 at the bottom, position 20.  Who's going to see that?  I want it upfront on page one of my profile!  I want it as the first entry!

Tom H Anderson
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/apiskeletons

15 REPLIES 15
JoanneP

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'll be sure to share this with the rest of the team for consideration. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
tomhanderson
Community Member

Hello,

In order to better understand a freelancer I want the ability to sort their Completed jobs on their profile by the following:

• Total amount billed
  • Rate / Fixed price vs hourly
  • Number of hours
  • Star rating
  • Sort feedback to top
  • Date started
  • Date completed

Reasons for using this sorting range from finding poor reviews to finding minimum and maximum rates, finding the average size of their projects, finding good reviews, and so much more.

Thank you for your consideration,

Tom H Anderson

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/apiskeletons

Tom H A wrote:
  • Total amount billed
  • Rate / Fixed price vs hourly
  • Number of hours
  • Star rating
  • Sort feedback to top
  • Date started
  • Date completed

You can already get some of them. Not sure why rates that were paid years ago would be useful in real life, or the average contract size.

sort history.png

• Total amount billed -  You can see the ballpark on the profile. What difference do the details make?
  • Rate / Fixed price vs hourly - That matters why?
  • Number of hours - You can see that on the profile- What difference do the details make?
  • Star rating - You can sort by that.
  • Sort feedback to top - Isn't that the same as the one above?
  • Date started - You can sort by that.
  • Date completed - Why?

Seriously, how does all that stuff help you choose a better freelancer?

Seriously, I appreciate the constructive feedback.  So I'll limit my reply to that part.

I didn't know about the sorting you helpfully pointed out.  Thanks for that.  I created this in accompaniment to https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Feature-Request-Top-Completed-Jobs/m-p/971836#M608653

I think I mistunderstood what you wanted... you want to sort your own profile in order to show clients the most flattering version of your profile?

I don't think that would be in any way good for clients as poor freelancers would use this to hide the evidence of poor outcomes.

The default should be as it is now: For clients to see the history by closing date, with the option to change the sorting for those clients who want to.

To borrow your term, my profile is flattering on its own.  Your assessment is correct but maybe a more specific outcome would better illustrate my problem:

Some of my brightest reviews are buried under galaxies of stars; dimmed by my productivity; their diction diminished behind pages of projects; clients who declined to voice their satisfaction beyond birthing new stars; their praise unheralded through time.  Let me give them a voice once again!  May they coruscate across my profile and light up the smiles of clients old and new.  Bury them again if you must!  But put them a click away on a new tab dedicated to their poetry.

Tom H A wrote:

But put them a click away on a new tab dedicated to their poetry.

"Poetry" aside: How would letting freelancers make their profile look more impressive than it is help clients hire the best freelancers and avoid the dodgy ones?

The purpose of a freelancer's work history is to help the client weigh up the various factors easily, not to be a vanity-function for the freelancer.

My other replies here suggest just adding a new sorting option to put feedback at the top.  When I browse profile completed jobs I feel the feedback is much more important than any of the other data in the list.  Maybe I'm not starstruck.  Knowing what someone took the time to put down in words is most meaningful to me.  

Tom H A wrote:

My other replies here suggest just adding a new sorting option to put feedback at the top.  When I browse profile completed jobs I feel the feedback is much more important than any of the other data in the list.  Maybe I'm not starstruck.  Knowing what someone took the time to put down in words is most meaningful to me.  

tomhanderson
Community Member

Other conversations on this subject have suggested leaving the completed projects tab as-is and I would still ask for a new tab that is not selected by default and contains a hand-picked list of projects.

If my other suggestions all fall through I would accept a new sort option for projects on a profile by those with feedback then by date, putting most recent feedback at the top.

You don't get to pick and choose what clients see. 

They should see the whole range of outcomes for a more accurate reflection of overall performance - not just the ones you like. What you're asking for is to be able to mislead clients. 

Tom H A wrote:

If my other suggestions all fall through

I think it's safe to say that will be the outcome....

Tom H A wrote:

I would accept a new sort option

You would "accept"? And if that doesn't happen either?

Why would clients use that to sort a freelancer's history? (They wouldn't)

Just to add...

You have a very strong profile, Tom, with a consistent history of good results. However, if Freelancers were allowed to pick and choose what shows on their profiles then your profile would be devalued.

Poor/average freelancers could filter out their poor results leaving only the good ones behind, making it appear as though their performance is as good as yours. JSS aside, you'd be nullifying the advantage you earned. 

You'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you got your way. 

Tom H A wrote:

Other conversations on this subject have suggested leaving the completed projects tab as-is and I would still ask for a new tab that is not selected by default and contains a hand-picked list of projects.

Create a specialized profile and add only your top reviewed contracts to it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths