🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feature Request - Block freelancers from ...
Page options
nrahman
Community Member

Feature Request

22 REPLIES 22
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nik:
Yours is an interesting post.

It has the virtue of being a suggestion I can't remember ever seeing before.

I understand your point of view. I don't know if this is something that we will see Upwork implement.

One basic problem with the whole idea is that any Upwork freelancer can also be a client. Many users are both.

Also, your idea kind of contradicts one of the main purposes of Upwork, which is to be a sort of "digital billboard" which presents freelancers to the world, to as many people as possible, so that clients all over the world can find and hire those freelancers. Upwork is - in a very real sense - the opposite of a "privacy maximization tool."

navidzafar
Community Member

Hi Nik,

At the same time a person can be a Freelance and a Client.

How it will be determined that other person is our competitor?

petra_r
Community Member

Nik M wrote:

We want our clients to see our profile but not our competitor freelancers.

Why? And who is "we"?

It strikes me as kind of an unusual request.

Bruce Willis doesn't try to block Nicholas Cage from seeing his movies. Or vice versa.

I'm not sure how this would contribute to any freelancer becoming genuinely successful on Upwork. It sounds like there may be some misunderstanding about how competition works.

Nancy Pearcey said:

"Competition is always a good thing. It forces us to do our best. A monopoly renders people complacent and satisfied with mediocrity."

Meanwhile, every person who has read your post has probably checked out your profile...just sayin'.

But I'm not really understanding why you want this additional feature to hide your profile from other freelancers? Is it so they can't steal your projects and claim them as their own work? Steal your clients? Personal information? 

Erin V wrote:

Meanwhile, every person who has read your post has probably checked out your profile...just sayin'.

But I'm not really understanding why you want this additional feature to hide your profile from other freelancers? Is it so they can't steal your projects and claim them as their own work? Steal your clients? Personal information? 

Yeah, some of them being Nik's direct competitors. 😁

But hey Nik, do us a favor and tell us what your unique situation is? There might be a workaround I might be able to suggest.

It would be also great if you could speculate why nobody else seems to have this need? I don't think Upwork will change anything because one user is asking for it. That's not how services are built in general.

nrahman
Community Member

kinector
Community Member

Here, I'm completely isolating the following from the case Nik is presenting here. Please note this is not the OP's case, I'm fairly sure of that.

After a long jog around the lovely paddy fields, coconuts jungles, banana orchards, and a few homes of prehistoric lizards, I could only think of one logical reason for the OP's request.

There is a subcontract.

Freelancer A told freelancer B, who was assigned to deliver the whole or big parts of Freelancer A's project, that the overall contract is worth $X so that there would be some profit for Freelancer A, but Freelancer B is suspecting the number does not reflect the reality, and the real budget of Freelancer A#s project is closer to $Y which is waaaaaay > $X. Therefore, there is a perfectly logical need for hiding the project budget from Freelancer B.

Please note that this is just a theoretical example of the only case I could invent and fabricate that might make sense for Freelancer A to request such as a feature to block Freelancer B from seeing the truth. Pure speculation, that is.

Never mind, I'm sure it was just my vivid imagination. I have to admit, I was very very high on coconuts when inventing this complete fantasy. 🤪

Happy freelancing, all. 👍👍

Yeah all this business about 'privacy' smacks of something underhand...

Nik M wrote:

Let's just say it's a privacy issue, really. Why would I want the world to know who I work for and how much I earn, etc.

Your profile is set to private now, but I seem to remember from looking at it last night that you already hide your earnings, and client names are not visible on profiles anyway, unless the client or you includes them in the job post or reviews. Not even counting the "private" setting, you already have these two points covered. With private, you've limited viewing to people whose jobs you apply to.

petra_r
Community Member

Nik M wrote:

Mine is an unique situation which is not covered by the 3 profile visibility options that UpWork provides and thats why I felt the need to have the option I am requesting 

And that's the problem with that sort of request: 

People asking Upwork to change how they run a platform with millions of users because of their own, unique situation...

nrahman
Community Member

petra_r
Community Member

Nik M wrote:

So, you are saying that no one can have an unique thought or requirement. Smiley LOL

No,that is categorically not what we are saying that a platform with millions of users won't change how they do things because one user wants a function nobody else has ever requested.

Nik M wrote:

Here is an interesting read...Herd behavior - Wikipedia

Not even remotely related.

nrahman
Community Member

petra_r
Community Member

Nik M wrote:

That means I can only request for something that everyone else has requested too.  Interesting. Smiley LOL Seems similar to the Chicken or the egg dilemma.

No, you can request whatever you like, of course. You can request lower fees and more connects- You can request that Upwork decorate their pages with purple unicorns, because it will make lots of people very happy. That suggestion will get the "Thank you for your suggestion, we will forward it to the team for their consideration" standard response and that will be the end of it.  That's pretty much the same.

I am not sure whether you are really not understanding that if there is no call for a change, there is no point in implementing it?

How would Upwork benefit from spending resources on making a change only a handful of people want or would use?

Petra R wrote:

You can request that Upwork decorate their pages with purple unicorns,

+1

But can we have rainbows too?

lysis10
Community Member

uhhh most freelancers have client accounts anyway so it won't help

how can we see review given to the clients, if a clients directly reaching to us thorugh project catalog?

Hi Rahul,

Currently, freelancers can't see the client's past Work History and Feedback section. We understand that it’s very important for freelancers to see that information and we have shared that feedback with our team. A number of improvements have already been made based on the feedback we received in the Community and the team will continue to make further improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

~ Goran
Upwork
jeevantk
Community Member

Does Upwork support ACH Transactions instead of just relying on credit card payments? When it comes to long-term engagements, the payment processing fees of 3% seem to be a waste given a large chuck of the same goes to credit card companies. Won't upwork be able to get a larger chunk of long-term contracts and compete with remote companies like Deel if they enable work towards the same. 
For example, Deel was recently valued at 12 Billion dollars despite having lesser marketplace advantages as compared to Upwork. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrickcai/2023/01/23/deel-emerson-collective-funding-12-billion-valuat...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths