🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feature request: Exclude Location filter ...
Page options
jelleplevier
Community Member

Feature request: Exclude Location filter in Job search

Hey Upwork,

It would be great to have the possibility to exclude some countries from the job search. Currently, you can only include or view all when filtering the job search, but in some cases, it is more useful to be able to exclude certain countries from the search. I am sure you can imagine why...

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for your feedback, Jelle, I will share it with our team. 

~ Goran
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Jelle P wrote:

Hey Upwork,

It would be great to have the possibility to exclude some countries from the job search. Currently, you can only include or view all when filtering the job search, but in some cases, it is more useful to be able to exclude certain countries from the search. I am sure you can imagine why...

I can't imagine why, nor do I think it's likely that Upwork will implement filters that allow people to discriminate against entire countries.

In my entire 22-year freelancing career, I've honestly only had four absolute nightmare clients - one was Canadian, two were Americans, and one was Australian. Are these the countries that you're referring to?

Christine A wrote:

I've honestly only had four absolute nightmare clients - one was Canadian, two were Americans, and one was Australian. Are these the countries that you're referring to?

2 x Australian. That's it.

That said, I rarely to never work with clients from certain other countries for the simple reason that my rates are beyond what they pay, so I also don't tend to apply for their jobs because I know I won't get hired because I am too expensive for them. So I can see why filtering out job posts from those countries might be useful because I might want to see less jobs I wouldn't get even if I did apply.

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I've honestly only had four absolute nightmare clients - one was Canadian, two were Americans, and one was Australian. Are these the countries that you're referring to?

2 x Australian. That's it.

That said, I rarely to never work with clients from certain other countries for the simple reason that my rates are beyond what they pay, so I also don't tend to apply for their jobs because I know I won't get hired because I am too expensive for them. So I can see why filtering out job posts from those countries might be useful because I might want to see less jobs I wouldn't get even if I did apply.

Well, never say never, though. I've had clients from "certain countries" who've had no problem with my hourly rate. I just look at the client's budget and if it's within spitting distance, I apply regardless of what country they're from. Even the poorest countries have some citizens who have plenty of money. I've also been invited to projects by really cheapskate clients from wealthy countries, so a blanket policy is very short-sighted, IMO. (I'm saying this more for the sake of the OP than for yours.)

bilsim
Community Member

This feature doesn’t make much sense as long as the clients can use fake locations. Many aren’t located where their profile says they are.

petra_r
Community Member

Christine A wrote: Well, never say never, though. I've had clients from "certain countries" who've had no problem with my hourly rate.

Yes - me too. From invites.

Christine A wrote:  (I'm saying this more for the sake of the OP than for yours.)

I get it, and frankly I rarely apply to be fair so I don't need any filters. I was just thinking of situations where it might be handy.

Biljana V wrote:

This feature doesn’t make much sense as long as the clients can use fake locations. Many aren’t located where their profile says they are.

Very good point. Especially UK and US based ones.

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:  (I'm saying this more for the sake of the OP than for yours.)

I get it, and frankly I rarely apply to be fair so I don't need any filters. I was just thinking of situations where it might be handy.

I don't bid that much either, but when I do, I find that filtering by budget is the most useful feature, as opposed to filtering by country.

re: “I can't imagine why, nor do I think it's likely that Upwork will implement filters that allow people to discriminate against entire countries.”

I am not sure why you would say that.

It is already possible to do searches based on specifying specific countries or regions. It should be possible to click on countries or regions to exclude in the search as well as include.

This would simply by an extra time-saving feature for clients looking for freelancers, or for freelancers looking for jobs.

Preston H wrote:

I am not sure why you would say that.

Because it's true?

That has been suggested for years. Has it been implemented? No.

There is a subtle difference between choosing to include and choosing to exclude people and jobs from certain countries.

I'm fairly sure Upwork wouldn't want to "go there" - it wouldn't be a good look.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths