🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fee increase for unexpected work load
Page options
lamont2019
Community Member

Fee increase for unexpected work load

Hello, I'm hoping to get people's opinion about this, or maybe someone has experience similar to this and can help me decide the best way to approach it. I'm in the middle of a project for a client, the contract is already in agreement, but through the middle of the project I realize that there is alot more work than I inittilaly thought there would be. I don't mind the work, but the fee for what is expected and the amount of work it will take, should be much much higher! I want to approach the client about increasing the fee, but I don't want to come across as being unproffesional and I certainly wouldn't want to create an unpleasant workiing experience between the client and myself. Has anybody been in this position before? How would you approach this? Is it even ethical for me to ask for a fee increase so far into the process? Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

I eat the time, but it's only hours not weeks or days for me. Well, I did eat 15 hours last week that you couuuuuuld argue was not 100% my fault but maybe it was idk. That's the worst I've ever worked for free on here.

Thanks for your thoughts Jennifer, appreciate it!

mcpilot
Community Member

There are a number of possible factors here. 

If this is an hourly contract, and the client is expecting more work from you than was originally scoped, as long as you communicate your intentions to the client (i.e. "this is outside of scope but I am happy to proceed") it should be fine.  COnversely, if it's a fixed price contract, you will likely need to request an additional milestone be funded.  

It's not unusual for this to occur and as long as you are upfront with your communication it should not be a problem.  Something akin to "building the xyz part of this per your last request is outside of the scope. I am happy to do it but it looks like about 4 more hours of work. Would you please fund a supplemental milestone so I can get started"

Now, a fee *increase* sounds like you're suggesting a higher hourly rate for additional unexpected work, but I suspect it's a fixed price job.  

I hope it works out for you. 

mcpilot
Community Member

addendum: if it's a matter of not scoping it properly on your end, then you may need to eat the additional time. 

Fair point, you may be right! thanks Patrick!!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members