cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Question: Would you like to ask a client questions before sending a proposal?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 28

It MIGHT be useful for clients who are... kind of clueless about writing job posts.

How many clients would benefit from this? I don't know.

When I post a job, I provide all the information necessary, and I would not want to be peppered from would-be freelancers.

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
12 of 28

Preston H wrote:

It MIGHT be useful for clients who are... kind of clueless about writing job posts.

How many clients would benefit from this? I don't know.

When I post a job, I provide all the information necessary, and I would not want to be peppered from would-be freelancers.

I agree with Preston. As a client, when I post a job, I give the information the I deem necessary to give at the initial stage. I know freelancers will have questions, and I expect them to. But I only want to talk to the ones who submit a proposal that I feel like are worth my time to talk to. 

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
13 of 28

Lena E wrote:

I want to hear your opinion and feedback. As a freelancer, would you like the ability to ask a question about a client's job, prior to submitting a proposal?  Would you find this beneficial? Do you have any concerns?

Side note: In the past, freelancers had mentioned they're concerned that clients may be spammed in DMs if freelancers were able to message them before a contract had started. When addressing this question, we're thinking outside the box of direct messaging and perhaps including this in the product in such a way that would deter any spamming behavior. Likely, this would be a public type of Q&A, with questions about the job post and answers being public. 

I would like to see something to remind a client that the reference file they say was uploaded was not uploaded.  I see this a lot and it's an easy oversight.  Perhaps a drop-down box of basic canned questions may work and once a question is sent it would be grayed out so it could not be selected and sent again.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 28

Anna T wrote:

Lena E wrote:

I want to hear your opinion and feedback. As a freelancer, would you like the ability to ask a question about a client's job, prior to submitting a proposal?  Would you find this beneficial? Do you have any concerns?

Side note: In the past, freelancers had mentioned they're concerned that clients may be spammed in DMs if freelancers were able to message them before a contract had started. When addressing this question, we're thinking outside the box of direct messaging and perhaps including this in the product in such a way that would deter any spamming behavior. Likely, this would be a public type of Q&A, with questions about the job post and answers being public. 

I would like to see something to remind a client that the reference file they say was uploaded was not uploaded.  I see this a lot and it's an easy oversight.  Perhaps a drop-down box of basic canned questions may work and once a question is sent it would be grayed out so it could not be selected and sent again.

I agree with Anna. In the Graphic Design niche the phrase "look at the attachment" appears a lot, but the file is nowhere to be found.

Many times the job description is so vague: I need an animation, vectorize some images, I want a PDF, etc ..., that the proposal I submit consists of only questions.
I already mentioned it a long time ago, some way of telling the client that the file is not there, or that with so little information it is not possible to make a proper proposal.

Perhaps Preston and Amanda should teach some good job posting classes Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 28

Anna T wrote:

A drop-down box of canned questions is a good idea, actually - and please include the question "How many pages are in your document?" on this list. I still don't think that I'd personally use this feature, though - I just skip vague job posts and move on. Upwork needs to do more to encourage clients to post detailed job descriptions in the first place. (Especially these days - I assume that one-sentence descriptions are fake jobs posted so that freelancers can interview themselves and get free connects.)

Community Guru
Renante V Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
16 of 28

freelancer.com used to have it too.

People out of bids (connects) use it to send their proposal.

So, please NO.

Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
17 of 28

Lena E wrote:

Lena, you could do what I do:

- Insert the top 3 questions, particularly those that define your budget on fixed-price deals, in the cover letter part of the proposal

- List the assumptions that your quotation is based on

- List what is not included in that price and would need more discussion

We should not have any public Q&A section for the reasons mentioned others earlier.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 28

Mikko R wrote:

- Insert the top 3 questions...

Mikko, Lena isn't asking for advice how to apply, she is the nforum's community manager and an Upwork employee, who is asking our input about a possible new feature...

I don't want to see this either. The masses of "HIRE ME I BESTEST FREELLANCE" "questions" the clients would get would overwhelm them.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 28

Mikko R wrote:

- Insert the top 3 questions, particularly those that define your budget on fixed-price deals, in the cover letter part of the proposal

We should not have any public Q&A section for the reasons mentioned others earlier.

While possibly misdirected, the advice above is sound. Leading a proposal with the questions that are essential to responding to a posting or an invitation is an excellent way to establish that we know our business and mean business.

As a bonus, it sometimes yields the information we are seeking—and as suggested, obviates the need for any prior-to-proposal dialogue.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
20 of 28

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Mikko R wrote:

While possibly misdirected, the advice above is sound. Leading a proposal with the questions that are essential to responding to a posting or an invitation is an excellent way to establish that we know our business and mean business.

As a bonus, it sometimes yields the information we are seeking—and as suggested, obviates the need for any prior-to-proposal dialogue.

Agree 100%. Contracting 101.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS