Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feedback Removal

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 118

Kim F wrote:

"We recently changed this process just a few weeks ago."

As it says above that a change was made 'a few weeks ago' it should be reflected in the ToS. Where do we find it?

And why is a newly enforced delay of 14 days not deemed 'substantial'?

I don't think perks are part of the ToS anyway.

That said, this change is so utterly, completely ridiculous. Someone wasn't thinking, clearly. And still - the reason given is (insert favourite word... my filter is malfunctioning). How is this justified as addressing something that doesn't exist? I suppose the only thing we can do now when a contract goes wrong is to NOT leave feedback and then request the perk on the 14th day. That does, of course, mean we can't end such contracts...

Honestly Upwork. No. JUST NO! 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mahmoud S Member Since: Nov 23, 2019
32 of 118

Well, I'd like to add my voice to Petra and all the concerned freelancers here. I've had a bad experience with a client recently, and when I tried to use the feedback removal perk I discovered that I need to wait for 14 days.
Then, my JSS will drop, and subsequently, It will be recorded that I've been dropped out of the top-rated program for 2 weeks. I don't know now if my JSS will be risen again to enable me to get back to the Top-Rated program. 
But to cut this short:
1. My client didn't use the "change window" after leaving his feedback.
2. I have to wait for 2 weeks with bad feedback on my work history, which makes it difficult to have new contracts.
3. After 14 days with bad feedback on my profile, I'd be out of the top-rated program for 14 days more, If dropping out for 2 weeks wouldn't affect my "top-rated eligible weeks" record.

This change is just for the best interest of the clients over the freelancers' !!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
33 of 118

Mahmoud S wrote:

Well, I'd like to add my voice to Petra and all the concerned freelancers here. I've had a bad experience with a client recently, and when I tried to use the feedback removal perk I discovered that I need to wait for 14 days.
Then, my JSS will drop, and subsequently, It will be recorded that I've been dropped out of the top-rated program for 2 weeks. I don't know now if my JSS will be risen again to enable me to get back to the Top-Rated program. 
But to cut this short:
1. My client didn't use the "change window" after leaving his feedback.
2. I have to wait for 2 weeks with bad feedback on my work history, which makes it difficult to have new contracts.
3. After 14 days with bad feedback on my profile, I'd be out of the top-rated program for 14 days more, If dropping out for 2 weeks wouldn't affect my "top-rated eligible weeks" record.

This change is just for the best interest of the clients over the freelancers' !!!

I also want more clarity on this, and I'm quite outraged. 

If I have to wait two weeks, and this feedback drops me out of TR during those two weeks, then I won't be able to remove it after this imaginary "change window"  passes.  This deincentives me to continue to use Upwork because my contracts are large and I take few clients - so this will definitely affect me if something goes awry. 

If we request feedback to be removed, but have to wait, and while waiting we lose TR status, does our request still get processed? THIS MAKES NO SENSE! 

I have no poor client feedback. I'm at 100% JSS with only a few contracts, and the one time I did drop below 90% was due to a contracting error in which the client and I set up the contract but then had to pause and we  paused for too long, and I didn't realize it would hurt my JSS since we did eventually finish the project.   And this error was compounded by bad advice from CS who told me to close the contract without earnings (failing to mention that it would hurt my JSS) and open another.  (Petra, don't kill me for paraphrasing the situation.) 

Upwork continuously failes to understand how their own system works, poorly advises freelancers who are simply doing EXCELLENT work, and by no real fault of their own being penalized.  How is this "perk" even a perk if we can't use it? The best thing about the perk is being able to use it strategically when we drop below 90%. Now it's not even useful. 

I was about to increase my workload from Upwork. I've been turning down jobs on Upwork, and was going to take on more of the invitations I get because I'm expanding my consulting firm so I have more capacity. My contract are usually $3000 to $10,000. Now I'm not sure if I want to bother wasting time on Upwork. Why are you killing your own revenue by penalizing freelancers like this? 

Upwork is turning into an online temp agency, and today I'm quite frankly over it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
34 of 118

Amanda L wrote:

I was about to increase my workload from Upwork. I've been turning down jobs on Upwork, and was going to take on more of the invitations I get because I'm expanding my consulting firm so I have more capacity. My contract are usually $3000 to $10,000. Now I'm not sure if I want to bother wasting time on Upwork. Why are you killing your own revenue by penalizing freelancers like this? 

Indeed. I can see several outcomes as a result of this new policy, none of them good:

1. Increased numbers of freelancers will harrass clients about changing their feedback. If poor feedback will be left on our profiles for 14 days, there's even more incentive for freelancers to try and get clients to change their minds. 

2. Increased reluctance for freelancers to take a chance on clients who have no previous track record on Upwork, including turning down all invitations from direct messages (in which you can't see the client's history at all). If a freelancer is teetering on the brink of a 90% JSS, it'll be just too risky to accept invitations or bid on projects posted by new clients. Upwork is creating a situation in which new clients are less likely to get bids from its best freelancers (even less likely if the project is high in value) - how is that going to help Upwork acheive any growth in profits? 

3. Increased incidents of freelancers doing extra work and revisions for free - and putting up with abuse from terrible clients - because they're worried about having a bad review sit in their profile for two weeks. This will mean decreased revenue for Upwork as well, since we're less likely to take a stand on having clients create new milestones or insist on having them increase our weekly hours.

4. Decreased likelihood that a freelancer will bid on any projects for the two-week period following a bad feedback review. I'll tell you for a fact that if I get a terrible feedback review, I'll just ignore Upwork and wait out the two weeks, while focussing my marketing efforts elsewhere.

Also, as others have stated, why does Upwork keep trying to sneak in these new changes and subject us to stupid "tests" all the time? Every time I log into Upwork and see a forum thread that's several pages long, I get a sinking feeling of, "NOW what have they done???" I don't feel like I can rely on this website at all, because I never know what new policy Upwork is going to throw at me next, that may hamper my business and make my life more difficult. It's great that I have access to new clients through Upwork, but at the same time, it's terrible that I'm so strongly and increasingly incentivised into yanking my clients off of the site the moment the two-year period expires, because I feel like my business is better protected off of the website than on it.

Highlighted
Vitaliy C Member Since: Oct 30, 2019
35 of 118
Very accurately noticed. I already doubt that I chose the right place to build a business. Why is UpWork destroying its competitive advantages over other freelance sites?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
36 of 118

Petra R wrote:

I don't think perks are part of the ToS anyway.

That said, this change is so utterly, completely ridiculous. Someone wasn't thinking, clearly. And still - the reason given is (insert favourite word... my filter is malfunctioning). How is this justified as addressing something that doesn't exist? I suppose the only thing we can do now when a contract goes wrong is to NOT leave feedback and then request the perk on the 14th day. That does, of course, mean we can't end such contracts...

Honestly Upwork. No. JUST NO! 

This "perk" is not longer perk - it's pointless. Bad feedback will affect JSS and I doubt its effects on JSS can be removed after 14 days. UW should remove it altogether then..
But, first and foremost - THEY SHOULD HAVE INFORMED US!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
37 of 118

Thanks everyone for making me not feel as if I have lost my mind.....

Upwork, the given reason is  utterly false because there simply is no such thing as a "change period" that starts when a contract is closed. It doesn't exist. That is absolute BS.

There is no downside to keeping the perk as it always has been. 

So, Upwork, as the given "reason" has been debunked as utter BS, kindly come up with a better reason for this utterly ludicrous way you are taking our perk away in the most sneaky and malicious way.

We are waiting!

Highlighted
OROYINKA P Member Since: Feb 12, 2019
38 of 118
Let’s take for instance a freelancer has 90% as his JSS, then he gets a bad feedback and he has to wait 14days. During the period of the wait, he drops below top rated. Will he still be able to request for a feedback removal?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mahmoud S Member Since: Nov 23, 2019
39 of 118

yes, the freelancer can send a screenshot of the drop-out e-mail along with the feedback removal request.
But still, I don't know what will be the effect of being out of the program for 2 weeks, which reduces the number of top-rated eligible weeks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
40 of 118

Can I add that feedback removal isn't just about removing bad feedback and its effect on the JSS. It can also be about unrepresentative feedback or feedback that the freelancer feels is damaging in some other way.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS