Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Removal

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mahmoud S Member Since: Nov 23, 2019
41 of 118

Say no more!
I have a stain on my profile now that I keep checking everyday morning hoping that it will go away at some point.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
42 of 118

And crickets from the mods. . . 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
43 of 118

Jared K wrote:

And crickets from the mods. . . 

...as usual...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
44 of 118

We want answers. 

Upwork is so worried about us taking clients off site and circumventing, but how can they blame freelancers when they pull stuff like this?  I was feeling some loyalty not just from TOS to obey the rules, but a lot of people are going to lose that brand loyalty and start circumventing really quickly if they are treated like this. 

Again, Upwork is an online temp agency. I would advise clients to find good consultants/freelancers elsewhere at this point.  It's clear they have decided their best move is to offer low cost temps over high quality consultants. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
45 of 118

I'm going to post just to bump this thread - and I'll keep doing that until someone from UW replies.
...and not a copy/paste reply...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
46 of 118

Sanja D wrote:

I'm going to post just to bump this thread - and I'll keep doing that until someone from UW replies.
...and not a copy/paste reply...

Yes, and if they're not going to make any official announcement about it, then we should keep bumping this thread so that other freelancers can make informed decisions about whether to vet clients even more carefully from now on.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
47 of 118

Answers needed, indeed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
48 of 118

I've been slow to speak up because frankly, I've got outrage fatigue. And this is pretty outrageous for all the reasons mentioned. Typically, when UW makes a wrongheaded change we can at least follow the wrongheaded logic driving it. I'm utterly bewildered as to why this was done. Who benefits? Has there been a tsunamic of clients unhappy because FLs could remove feedback once every three months/10 projects? 

I'm low volume, relatively high value on this platform. I've not needed to use the perk yet but I'm positive it's only a matter of time because it's inevitable that a project goes sideways occasionally. As others pointed out, this raises the stakes astronomically on working with clients who don't have proven track records here. For those whose scruples are not ironclad, it disincentivizes staying on the platform and it generally undermines loyalty all round. 

Stacked on top of the new pre-contract communication policy, it really does feel like UW is wishing I would go away.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
49 of 118

Lena...

It surprises me to say this, but this change is even more poorly thought out than the recent TOS change. At least with that one, I can see a well-intentioned motivation and thought process that would lead too such an ill-conceived, ineffective, and harmful policy change. But I can't see any reasoning behind this latest change at all.

I hear you saying that it's because of the 14-day change window, but unless that has silently changed as well, clients can't change the feedback without the freelancer authorizing it—and since we still have an "Enable client to change feedback" button on recently closed contracts, I'm guessing it hasn't changed.

The only cases where a client is going to come back and make a positive change to feedback is where they realize immediately they've made a mistake, or where the freelancer asks them to. And I can't see any case where a professional (the ones who have this TR perk available to them in the first place) would ask a client to change their feedback. First, it's unprofessional, and second, it risks having the client make the feedback even worse. Instead, the path is to understand what went wrong, fix it for going forward, and mitigate the damage. On Upwork, that means using the removal perk if it's available. This change makes that mitigation much less effective. Instead of preventing a JSS hit and possible loss to TR status, the hit is inevitable and the TR loss is much more likely.

I can't figure out any case where this change makes sense. Please reconsider it.

I've more to say, but it's probably better I stop talking now.

Thanks.

Wes

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jo D Member Since: Jun 14, 2017
50 of 118

I was also under the impression that a client can only change their feedback on a project if I enable it. 

Upwork, is this not the case? 

And can you respond to all the other questions on this thread please? We'd really like to know why you thought this was a good idea. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS