🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feedback Score 98% to 91%
Page options
podcaststudio
Community Member

Feedback Score 98% to 91%

1 - 2 days ago, my feedback score was 98% and has been 98% for a very long time.

I haven't recieve any bad feedback scores.

My most recent rating (last week) was 5 stars.

So for what possible reasons has my score dropped from 98% 2 days ago to 91% today???

12 REPLIES 12
wescowley
Community Member

Most likely, either one of your clients gave you poor private feedback or you have a contract that's been closed (or open a long time) without any payments ever being made on it.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

What Wes said. Also, one or more high feedback jobs could have aged out of the calculation window.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Michael K wrote:

1 - 2 days ago, my feedback score was 98% and has been 98% for a very long time.

I haven't recieve any bad feedback scores.

My most recent rating (last week) was 5 stars.

So for what possible reasons has my score dropped from 98% 2 days ago to 91% today???

1) The projects within your 6-month, 12-month, 24-month window has changed.  Since you don't have many over the past year, the ones that remain are affecting your JSS

2) I assumed you closed the 2 contracts showing no feedback?  Don't do that.  That is also causing the drop.  Have the client close it and if they don't respond, close one at a time with successful projects and positive feedback in-between.

It is best to keep the contracts open rather than close 2 at once.  

Robin H wrote:

2) I assumed you closed the 2 contracts showing no feedback?  Don't do that.  That is also causing the drop. 

It isn't.

Conracts closing without feedback or that were closed by the freelancer do NOT affect the JSS provided money was paid at some point.

Petra R wrote:

Robin H wrote:

2) I assumed you closed the 2 contracts showing no feedback?  Don't do that.  That is also causing the drop. 

It isn't.

Conracts closing without feedback or that were closed by the freelancer do NOT affect the JSS provided money was paid at some point.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358

"Jobs with no earnings OR no feedback become counted in your score, EITHER because they were closed OR because several months have been passed since you received a payment."

Am I missing something?  Just want to make sure I understand this correctly so I don't give someone the wrong advice.  Thanks.

To clarify… if a job is completed and approved by client, it’s not a good idea to close the contract??? Only the client is suppose to close contracts?

Michael K wrote:

To clarify… if a job is completed and approved by client, it’s not a good idea to close the contract??? Only the client is suppose to close contracts?

Any closed contract with no client feedback will not hurt your JSS, however if you accumulate too many of them as a percentage of all closed contracts, it can have a negative effect. (We don't know how many is 'too many'.)

When a client closes a contract, they are required to leave fb as part of the process and you are notified and invited to leave fb yourself. When you close a contract, you are required to leave feedback and the client is notified and invited to leave fb. The problem is, many clients have disengaged by then and/or don't realize fb is actually important to the FL's general success using teh platform, so they don't bother. Therefore, it's best practice to get the client to close the contract when you can, as a housekeeping item (and without mentioning fb to them, that's considered by most to be poor form). That said, idle contracts where money has been paid can sit for a long time (months, years) without hurting your JSS.

Using UW saves us admin time/energy not spent on marketing and invoicing. But it does require a bit of attention to managing around the JSS.

Robin: according to Petra, this isn't true in practice. There are profiles she has spotted which have most of their contracts marked with "no feedback," and yet the JSS was 100% or something. Upwork should probably update that. It's pretty misleading.

Maybe if all of your contracts have no feedback something might happen, but it's certainly not on the same level as a contract without earnings

petra_r
Community Member

This person has 100% JSS.

He has 24 contracts in his 2 year window and 5 feedback

When I first looked at it there were 25 contracts and 3 feedback in the 2 year window and the JSS was 100% then, too.

It is safe to say that "no feedback" is not a factor.

Screenshot at Feb 17 18-00-48.png

Petra R wrote:

When I first looked at it there were 25 contracts and 3 feedback in the 2 year window and the JSS was 100% then, too.

I've seen my fair share of profiles like that, too, with so many contracts with no feedback, yet 100% JSS.

But I don't think it's "safe" to say that.

Such contrats tended to be from the same client, or the same set of clients.

Closing such contracts would definitely have no impact, because client has already shown satisfaction by hiring repeatedly.

If a freelancer had

- closed that many contracts by himself

- each from different clients

- without having another large, ongoing contract nullifying the effects of all those no feedback

His/her JSS will not be 100%.

Abinadab A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

I've seen my fair share of profiles like that, too, with so many contracts with no feedback, yet 100% JSS.

But I don't think it's "safe" to say that.

Such contrats tended to be from the same client, or the same set of clients.

Closing such contracts would definitely have no impact, because client has already shown satisfaction by hiring repeatedly.

If a freelancer had

- closed that many contracts by himself

- each from different clients

- without having another large, ongoing contract nullifying the effects of all those no feedback

His/her JSS will not be 100%.

None of that applies to the OP, or the profile I referenced.

The OP's JSS is not affected by her "No Feedback Given" contracts, but by the feedback (mainly private) that actually was given.

Petra R wrote:

None of that applies to the OP, or the profile I referenced.

The OP's JSS is not affected by her "No Feedback Given" contracts, but by the feedback (mainly private) that actually was given.

Nice catch.

Well, they apply to all the profiles I saw that had a high number of no feedback yet 100% JSS.

I might have seen like ten such profiles in my Upwork lifetime. Not a large sample size, but still...

And I wasn't responding to the OP's original post.

I was responding to his other question.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths