🐈 Community
shawnahein

Feedback Wanted on Upwork Time Tracker

We are looking at ways to improve the way information is displayed in the Upwork Desktop App and would love to get your feedback and thoughts on two areas of the Time Tracker.

1. The contract selector page

contract-selector.png

​We've received feedback that some of you find it difficult or confusing to select the correct contract to start tracking time.  This could be caused by contracts having the same name, having a long list of contracts to scroll through, or other reasons we don’t know about. To help with this issue we're thinking of implementing a search box and a "Recently tracked" filter.

We’d like to hear further feedback from you on the following things:

• Would a search box and/or a "Recently tracked" filter help?
  • For folks with long lists, what exactly is making your lists so long?
    • Do you have contracts you're no longer working on, fixed rate contracts, or other things that are cluttering the view? Or are you actually working on many projects at once?
  • What information would you like to have displayed when selecting a contract to help you differentiate between them? Whats most important?
    • Client name
    • Contract title
    • Any other information about the job?

2. Timezones

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 11.07.31 AM.png

Currently we have the daily and weekly summaries on the time tracker in UTC, because it then reflects what you will be paid for the week. Some have said they want these to be in their own time zones. The problem is if you track, say, 25 hours during your time zone week, you might only be paid for 20 hours because the other 5 hours were tracked for UTC's *next week*.

• Does the UTC timezone work for you?
  • Would there be a time you would want to see things in your  timezone or in your client’s timezone versus UTC (Billing / Payment timezone)

Adding manual time, however, is currently in YOUR timezone (when doing it from the Desktop app).

• What do you think of this?
  • What would you want changed if anything?

Thanks so much!

30 REPLIES 30
jmccpa

I would prefer that all time be shown as my local time.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV

Thanks Joseph! So you wouldn't care if the time was shown as your local time, but the amount you were paid might be different because it's based on UTC?

@Shawna H wrote:

Thanks Joseph! So you wouldn't care if the time was shown as your local time, but the amount you were paid might be different because it's based on UTC?

It's not so much that we won't care but since we know what we're doing and we know when we'll get paid without having the tracker remind us.

Got it, thanks!

As Robert posted, I would still prefer all times local even if payments were based on UTC.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
cjknobil

On the Contracts page:

• Neither a recently tracked or a search would interest me
  • My lists are not extremely long, but when I do have 5 or 6 it is becuase for some hourly contracts I leave them open because I am working on more of a consulting basis.
  • What information would you like to have displayed when selecting a contract to help you differentiate between them? Whats most important? Client Name is by far the most important. The reason I get confused is because many of the job titles are similar.

On the time zone:

• I always want to see the time in my local time zone. I'll look at the UTC when looking at my reports pages and timesheets if I want to.

Chris

Thanks!

Quick question - when you say "Client Name" do you mean the client's company name, or their actual name (e.g. John Smith)? Thanks!

I meant the company name. Sometimes I have clients with the same first names and I have to be careful not to get them confused if I'm just looking at the person's name. The company name usually is the clearest.

erikakarvelis

Hi, Shawna.

Good topic.

I've just used this time tracker last night to finish my small hourly project and I found this great one.

I don't think it's important for me to get local time in time tracker because we can get local time from anywhere nearby.

Now I'm not sure about this recently tracked filter because I've finished only one hourly project, but I think this will be helpful if I have many projects.

And the design and contents are good looking for me.

I want you to let me know what "Add Manual Time" is for, if you have time.

Thanks for upwork team for trying to help us work in better environment.

Best.

Erika.

Thanks Erika!  "Add Manual Time" allows you to add time to your timesheet if you forgot to track it.

jcullinan

I would never use "Search" or "recently tracked" in the time tracker. Client name is all I care about. Contract names can be way too long, and too similar - consider giving clients a much smaller character limit for the actual name of the contract instead of just using the job post title. I've had contract names that are three or four sentences - how ridiculous is that?

ALL time listings should be in MY timezone, ALWAYS. UTC is useless.

To solve your little "but the work week is tracked in UTC" dilemma, why not just list the actual time of the end of the work week in the Freelancer's time zone? A simple sentence of "The work week ends at 5 pm on Sundays in the US Mountain Standard Time Zone" on the work diary and other reports would be sufficient.

Keep it simple. No one cares what time UTC is unless they live there.

Great feedback, thanks for taking the time

Quick question - when you say "Client Name" do you mean the client's company name, or their actual name (e.g. John Smith)? Thanks!

Either the client's company name or actual name, doesn't matter.

anima9

The only feedback I can give is it eats up too much memory and is much slower than the previous tracker. I get the features are memory hogs but three separate processes amounting to no less than 150 mb? That's a bit much for a tracker.

lairdpeter424

Personally I would prefer the time tracker to be able to set a variable track time to search.

I work in Bangkok, My clients can be anywhere and at times they will apply a bonus period for work done, that Bonus period is determined by them, and therefore it would be easier to track if I could move the search feature to adjust to the period where the client applied that bonus.

Pete 

Still in Bangkok..........slowly getting my JSS back to wehre ti belongs due to dodgy clients.

mao633

Hi there,

Would a search box and/or a "Recently tracked" filter help?

If you could look for the client's name yes!

For folks with long lists, what exactly is making your lists so long?

The contract name is often long and messy, hard to remember and to link to a project. 

Do you have contracts you're no longer working on, fixed rate contracts, or other things that are cluttering the view? Or are you actually working on many projects at once?

It happens that in the tracker I keep seeing projects that have already been closed and yes they do waste the space. 

What information would you like to have displayed when selecting a contract to help you differentiate between them? Whats most important?

- Client name by far that's what makes me aware of the kind of projec me and my team are on

2. Does the UTC timezone work for you? Would there be a time you would want to see things in your timezone or in your client’s timezone versus UTC (Billing / Payment timezone) Adding manual time, however, is currently in YOUR timezone (when doing it from the Desktop app). What do you think of this? What would you want changed if anything?

Honestly I'm not that interested about this point because once I do a job on Upwork I know I'll be paid. Then it does not really change if this happens with a week of delay. In our country most of the freelancing works are often not paid so you work taking risk all the time. Therefore Upwork is a huge guarantee. 

I hope this will help, 

Maurizio

Thanks! Quick question - when you say "Client Name" do you mean the client's company name, or their actual name (e.g. John Smith)? Thanks!

marcyscreed

I like how it's no longer displaying "paused" contracts on the list.

If I may suggest anything, it's to automatically "turn off" tracking after a certain period of inactivity (not the same as offline tracking) in cases when I happen to fall asleep and the tracker is still on unintentionally, along with the PC and Internet. 

trooks

My Wish List:

• When closing the program via the X in Upper RH corner, the tracker should completely stop running - and not continue running in the background.
  • Be able to "move time & screenshots" from one client to another, should I inadvertently click on the wrong client (yeah I know I could also pay closer attention).
  • Allow the snapshot notification’s location to be selectable.

Thanks for taking the time to request feedback!

Tom

chrismanley

A while back I provided feedback that I was a disappointed in some changes that had been made to the Time Tracker app.  Specifically, that it no longer showed a running clock for the current session.

Today I see that is back and just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

When I can glance quickly at the Current Session time I know if I'm taking too long on a particular job.  This helps me keep my client's costs in line with the nature of the job.  This, in turn, makes for a happy client and a very strong working relationship with them. 

It's really nice to work with a company who hears and cares about our needs, and takes steps to make things better for us!!

I appreciate that you took the time to to post this here, Chris! I've sent this to the Upwork Desktop App Team to brighten their day. Robot Happy

Thanks again!

~ Avery
Upwork
chrismanley

Forgot to mention another thing I noticed this week that is back -- The Previous Memo selector.  I REALLY missed that as one of my clients needs to track total charges for their client (the end user) and if I type in slightly different memos it makes it hard for them.

I was often having to go back to my work diary to see how I worded the memo the last time for a particular project then copy/paste it into the current memo area on the app.

Thanks again!!

e_skoldebring

I think it would be lovely if the time tracker started counting irrespective of what the actual time is. Everytime I forget myself and start the tracker at xx:08 it still charges 10 minutes, which makes that segment look really bad (low activity) in my diary (plus I feel i just stole 8 minutes of payment from the client). 

It should just start counting 10 minute segments from when you start it, no matter what the actual time is.

That WOULD actually be awesome.  I'm all the time going into my work
diary and deleting a :10 segment that only had a minute of work in it. 
It's not such a big deal on a long project, but I do a lot of 10-30
minute quick jobs and it makes those look bad.

It was designed to give designers a little bit of a break - just like
you would in an office job where you get a 15 to 20 minute break a
couple of times during an 8-hour shift.  It really is a pretty fair
thing to have going for us.  The problem is with a long-term client that
has you doing different tasks for many different end-users, it's not
fair for one of those end-users to end up paying more and another paying
less just because of the time the designer happens to log in.

@Erik S wrote:

Everytime I forget myself and start the tracker at xx:08 it still charges 10 minutes, which makes that segment look really bad (low activity) in my diary (plus I feel i just stole 8 minutes of payment from the client). 

Yet somehow you convince yourself you didn't, because the client never notices? I'm not sure why you don't:

• delete such segments when you "forget yourself"
  • stop forgetting yourself.

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Erik S wrote:

Everytime I forget myself and start the tracker at xx:08 it still charges 10 minutes, which makes that segment look really bad (low activity) in my diary (plus I feel i just stole 8 minutes of payment from the client). 

Yet somehow you convince yourself you didn't, because the client never notices? I'm not sure why you don't:

• delete such segments when you "forget yourself"
  • stop forgetting yourself.

Off course I delete in extreme cases but I shouldnt have to, is my point. How about you focus on what Upwork can do to make things easier for freelancers (as is indeed the point of this thread), and not how freelancers should adapt to a flawed product like grateful 19th century factory workers?

Actually, the original point of this thread was to give kudos and thanks
to the Upwork Team who have made the Work Diary app very much better.

Not sure what you're trying to tell this person since your punctuation
is a little off.

However, I'd like to interject that each of us has his or her own work
ethic and schedule to maintain. Therefore it's up to each of us to watch
the clock and wait for the start of a 10 minute increment or not, and/or
to delete segments of time from our diary that we feel are overcharges
to our client... or not.

It's really nobody else's business.
Learning Paths