🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Feedback after a test before hiring
Page options
ls_texte
Community Member

Feedback after a test before hiring

Good evening, I was short-listed for a job advertisement, got a test job for 15 dollars, but unfortunately I was not the chosen one for the "big" job. What do you write as a review without it coming out negative for me? After all, I didn't get this particular job. Thanks for your help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

Good evening, I was short-listed for a job advertisement, got a test job for 15 dollars, but unfortunately I was not the chosen one for the "big" job. What do you write as a review without it coming out negative for me? After all, I didn't get this particular job. Thanks for your help.

Just write "Thanks for the opportunity."  or nothing at all. As long as nothing bad happened, all that happened was someone else was a better fit. The fact they paid you for a test job is a good thing. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
a_lipsey
Community Member

Laetitia S wrote:

Just write "Thanks for the opportunity."  or nothing at all. As long as nothing bad happened, all that happened was someone else was a better fit. The fact they paid you for a test job is a good thing. 

Thank you very much for your reply, Amanda. I could not wait and had already given my rating. But your solution would certainly have been the better one. Unfortunately the customer only gave me a 4.6. To get such a rating for a 15 dollar job is not very pleasant. I hope that this will have no influence on my applications. Thank you!

This is why I choose not to take paid trial jobs like this. Instead, I'll offer to do a short (usually a page or two at most, but depends on the size of the expected job) sample edit as part of the interview in place of the paid trial.

I'm not saying which way is right for you—you have to decide that. I'm just offering an alternative way of handling it in the future. 

Many thanks for the valuable tip. I will do the same in the future.

Wes C wrote:

This is why I choose not to take paid trial jobs like this. . 

Me neither.

The client's history is full of it. Plus LOL at the edit AND proofread AND write an evaluation at a third of a Cent a word. 

They pay their translators just over half a Cent per word, so I can just imagine what kind of word-salad those "translators" churn out.

Whatever possessed you to apply?

ls_texte
Community Member

Yeah, that's right. I'm also wondering why I applied. I won't make that mistake again. Thank you! 🙁 Now I have got such great jobs and this review will ruin it all.

Wes C wrote:

This is why I choose not to take paid trial jobs like this. Instead, I'll offer to do a short (usually a page or two at most, but depends on the size of the expected job) sample edit as part of the interview in place of the paid trial.

I'm not saying which way is right for you—you have to decide that. I'm just offering an alternative way of handling it in the future. 

Great approach.

One little subscript that should be added for all noobs reading is, freelancers may offer to do such a free sample. Clients may not ask. If they do, you ban them.

4.6 is a good score!

This means the client gave you a perfect or almost perfect score on all six categories they were asked to evaluate you on.

Preston H wrote:

4.6 is a good score!

We'll see how "good" it was when it comes to "JSS Update"-time.

Preston H wrote:

4.6 is a good score!

This means the client gave you a perfect or almost perfect score on all six categories they were asked to evaluate you on.

The client only gave 4 for skills and quality,  which is not a good sign. 

re: "The client only gave 4 for skills and quality,  which is not a good sign."

4 out of 5 is good, but not perfect.

The client appears to have thoughtfully evaluated and scored a number of freelancers.

The client hired and paid a number of freelancers to do a test project. This is an incredibly powerful and effective way to save money and increase project quality. More clients should do this.

Yeah, this is really bad. Fortunately, I know that my skills are impeccable. It was a lesson and I'll never take a job like that again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members