Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback influenced on the JSS

Highlighted
Nadezhda I Member Since: May 26, 2018
1 of 9

Dear writers, I have а question.

I want to know how my last feedback from client will affect to my JSS. So far, all the jobs I have written are with 5.00 scores, except the last feedback from client which is 3.60. First in the job description was not written what the client later asked me to write, then the communication was with very long breaks, and at the end of the draft version, when I wrote my remarks about the lack of comunication and the different job description before and after the contract, he closed the contract and wrote in the feedback that he is not satisfied with my grammar and that I don't have Native English (In my profile stands that I have fluent Еnglish). How to improve my JSS because I believe that this feedback will affect badly)? Also, can I hide this feedback?

Thank you

Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
2 of 9

you can`t remove the feedback until you become top rated, and I see your JSS is 88%, so this feedback will remain.

You can, however improve your JSS by completing other contracts with great feedbacks.

Nadezhda I Member Since: May 26, 2018
3 of 9

Thank you

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9

I have seen many clients just disappear for weeks or months at a time, so this is just part of the Upwork freelancer experience. Once they are silent for 6 – 8 weeks, I let them know I’ll close the project if I don’t hear from them. I have never had a silent client complain after closing a project after so much time without communication from them.

It’s best to keep your communications and feedback with a client positive while a project is live and save any criticism or complaints couched in a positive way, muted or unspoken until the project is closed, when you can leave honest feedback and the client will be writing what they think about you without also being able to respond to anything negative in your feedback for them.

Mission creep – expanding what the client initially required the freelancer to do to keep the client happy without also raising the price paid – is, in my experience, common in fixed price projects, especially with inexperienced clients. This is why it is so important for you to be very precise in setting up the project’s milestones initially. They may be hiring you because they think you are expert in what you do, so it is possible you know more about the work they want you to do than they do. Make sure the milestones you agree to with the client reflect your expectations of the work required as clearly described by the client.

When the client starts asking for significant work beyond what’s clearly described in the milestones, you can point out that this was not part of the original agreement. I think it’s worth doing 5% - 10% more work without additional pay due to the goodwill it creates on the client side, but some clients certainly try to get far more work done than they are hoping to pay for. It’s only worth going so far with such clients, and let other freelancers know via your feedback if the client has been unreasonable in their demands.

There is no perfect solution to resolve this problem or protect your JSS from unreasonable and vindictive clients.

Asna T Member Since: Nov 6, 2017
5 of 9

Very Informative. How do you deal with clients who are not responsive for over a month? Do they leave you feedback in the end? 

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
6 of 9

Asna T wrote:

Very Informative. How do you deal with clients who are not responsive for over a month? Do they leave you feedback in the end? 

They can, but, in my experience, clients who don't respond for that long usually never respond again (neither messaging nor closing the contract). I close it myself in those cases.

Ace Contributor
Clark K Member Since: Sep 7, 2015
7 of 9

So if a freelancer closes a job because of lack of communication with a client, and no money has changed hands, doesn't that hurt the freelancer's JSS?

Community Guru
Riri A Member Since: Jul 21, 2018
8 of 9

Hi Clark,

A pattern of contracts without feedback from clients can as well as contracts that are inactive for a long time. That's why it's advisable that you communicate with your clients and have them close the contracts and provide their feedback. If you don't hear back from your clients after some time, you can go ahead and close them yourself. If there are several of these contracts, you may close them one at a time. We would suggest that you also try to focus on finishing smaller fixed price contracts and do well on them so that you get positive feedback to help improve your JSS as they will be included in your calculation a little bit faster. Please see this help article. Let me know if you need anything else. 

~ Riri
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 9

Clark K wrote:

So if a freelancer closes a job because of lack of communication with a client, and no money has changed hands, doesn't that hurt the freelancer's JSS?

If no money has changed hands and the client has been unresponsive, that means there will have been no (private) feedback from the client and no money, and no (or poor) feedback means that contract will negatively affect the JSS, yes.

That said, a contract like that (with nothing ever paid) that is open and idle will also affect the JSS eventually so it will hurt regardless, just the timing may differ.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS