cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on 1st Offer from **

laurajl
Active

Good Morning and Thank You for having me on UpWork! I'm a newbie, just got my 1st Offer yesterday from **Edited for Community Guidelines**---as a P/T Virtual Assistant.

Has anyone worked for this company before?

Not much info on them on this site  -- their website & social media are very slick. I will ask **Edited for Community Guidelines** to Verify Payment Method. I looked for reviews online, not much out there.

How do new freelancers complete their due diligence of a new offer/company when the client appears to be New to Upwork?

#TGIF and thanks for any comments/feedback.

Laura Lowery

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Laura, first thing's first - you must remove your contact info and the details of the client from your post. It is against the Community rules to post identifying info like that. Further, freelancers are never allowed to post their own contact details in profiles, Community posts, or proposals. 

Laura, don't think about the company or client name. Don't google the name. Googling client names is how newbies get scammed.

Remember: scammers want you to google the names they give you. They want you to see the nice websites of the companies whose names they lie about representing. That is how they trick newbies.

Focus on what the client does. Focus on the client's details available on Upwork.

Do not ask about the name, research the name or think about it.

@Preston H wrote:

Laura, don't think about the company or client name. Don't google the name. Googling client names is how newbies get scammed.

Remember: scammers want you to google the names they give you. They want you to see the nice websites of the companies whose names they lie about representing. That is how they trick newbies.

Focus on what the client does. Focus on the client's details available on Upwork.

Do not ask about the name, research the name or think about it.

I think that applies directly to Laura's category, but not so much to other categories. For example, I did a job for a large ad agency (which I am familiar with, we're in the same city). It was a design job. They were new to the platform. It worked to my benefit to check out their site prior to submitting my proposal to get some background on their client roster for this particular job. In VA situations or any kind of Admin Support I think the scammers target newbies more so than, say, design  or other category folks.  

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

As for your question on how to vet potential clients before accepting an offer - if the client seems new to Upwork (shows no payment verification, no job history on the platform, no feedback) I usually don't submit a proposal. Some freelancers specialize in working with clients new to Upwork, but my experience has been that they need a lot of education on how to use the platform and I typically don't have extra time to perform that function. However, some freelancers end up with very fruitful client relationships because of working with new clients who need extra assistance. In the cases when I have submitted proposals to new clients I've checked them out online just as you have. I've made sure they verify their payment method before I start work, and make sure they've funded a milestone (if for a fixed-price contract). No payment method verification and no milestone funding = no work. Good luck! 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura,

In addition to asking the client to verify their payment method, make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, covered by our Payment Protection Programs and only accept to receive payment through Upwork.

I would also advise you not to share your personal details with the client and only share your contact details once you have an insight into the type of work and requirements a job entails.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS