cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback removal + Full refund = good or bad?

Highlighted
Bruno G Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
1 of 6

I finally got me an unreasonable client and we are about to end the contract with only the frist milestone paid ($50 lol!).
It is very likely to be marked as "not finished" and the client will very likely leave negative feedback (I'd be very suprprised otherwise).

I am now pondering what is the best course of action on my side.

As I am Top Rated (not bragging) my idea is this:
Wait for the effect on JSS and then, if it is significant, ask for Feedback Removal from JSS only.
Then if public feedback is bad, do a full refund to remove it from my work history completely.
That way there will be no publicly visible trace of the unlucky contract anywhere (except possibly in client's work history).

I am not opting for removing public feedback with Feedback Removal because it supposedly leaves "This feedback has been removed" in work history which is a big red flag. Doing a full refund + JSS removal seems like a much better option for small payouts.

Am I missing something here?

Highlighted
2 of 6

I realized that the impact on my JSS could be much larger than I initially thought and decided not to wait for the coming JSS update. Having to wait for two weeks for it to recover with next JSS update is too long.

The reason is that I do mostly larger jobs which are far in between and I do not have many of them in the last 24 month period, so a single negative feedback would count a lot percentage-wise.

So, I will not see how large the impact would be after all. I was curious to see the "calculation".

For the record, the feedback is 1 star (1.30) Smiley Surprised

That is actually much better than let's say 3-star because it makes it very obvious it is exaggerated.

I am now actually thinking of leaving the job and the feedback as is (not making the refund). But then again, maybe not. Smiley LOL

Highlighted
3 of 6

In a talk with UpWork Help chat agent I learned that doing full refund first then requesting Feedback Removal is the way to go if you want all effects on JSS removed.

It makes sense since Feedback Removal is apparently performed manually, so a full refund after negative feedback JSS impact removal may still do its negative thing.

So, the unfortunate job is now only in my private job list.

One thing to know:

A full refund will remove the job from freelancer's Work History but it will also remove it from client's job history, together with the rating. So other freelancers won't be able to see it, unfortunately.

However, there will still be visible clues to that: client's job count, number of jobs, hire rate and number of hires will still include that job - but the job will be "missing" from client's job history.

I've seen this before and wondered - now I know what it means.

Client's info shows a refunded jobClient's info shows a refunded job

Highlighted
Jeri S Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
4 of 6
Reading this rather late. However, I gave a client a full refund and he still gave me a bad review, which shows up on my profile. Is it not supposed to be showing there?
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 6

Hi Jeri, 

Could you please share the contract ID for the contract you are referring to? I checked your account but was unable to identify it from your contract list, and your Work History. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

@Jeri S wrote:
Reading this rather late. However, I gave a client a full refund and he still gave me a bad review, which shows up on my profile. Is it not supposed to be showing there?

I see no poor (less than 4 stars)  feedback on your profile

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS