🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feedback without a contract?
Page options
stevewitters
Community Member

Feedback without a contract?

Is it, or may it become, possible for a perspective client to provide feedback without entering into a contract? Not sure if I am uniquely situated, but some of my work depends on timing per gov. regulations. In those instances, I ask a few preliminary questions to confirm that the client's objectives are achievable. If not, I simply let them know of the situation and, of course, not contract is established. I am confident the perspective client would provide positive feedback, if they could.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Steve:
An hourly contract can pay money to the freelancer for a period of time as small as 10 minutes.

A fixed-price contract can pay money to a freelancer for an amount as small as five dollars.

If a client wants to leave feedback for you, the client can hire you using an hourly contract and pay you a bonus payment of one dollar, while you log no time at all.

So if your question is: "Can a client leave feedback for me without there being a substantial contract that pays a lot of money?"

The answer is: Yes.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Steve W wrote:

Is it, or may it become, possible for a perspective client to provide feedback without entering into a contract? 

It isn't possible and I would think that Upwork has no interest in providing benefits for things that lead to $0 revenue.

Steve W wrote:

I am confident the perspective client would provide positive feedback, if they could.

I'm sure they would, but how does you providing consultancy services free of charge earn Upwork money?

Understood, but what your call free consulting services could get me disbared for violating ethics rules. Perhaps I am uniquely situated here.

Steve W wrote:

but what your call free consulting services could get me disbared for violating ethics rules.

What?? (It does not violate the terms of service).

i think that a few screening questions is not free consulting, or does it?. And, does it cause you an issue if you have several interviews without a feedback?.

ceefaeca
Community Member

If someone did not work with a freelancer how can they leave feedback?

Feedback is for the work freelancers do. For being eligible for feedback first there should be a contract, then after the job when a client or you end the contract it becomes eligible for feedback. It is not possible to have feedback without a contract. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Steve:
An hourly contract can pay money to the freelancer for a period of time as small as 10 minutes.

A fixed-price contract can pay money to a freelancer for an amount as small as five dollars.

If a client wants to leave feedback for you, the client can hire you using an hourly contract and pay you a bonus payment of one dollar, while you log no time at all.

So if your question is: "Can a client leave feedback for me without there being a substantial contract that pays a lot of money?"

The answer is: Yes.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Steve W wrote:

Is it, or may it become, possible for a perspective client to provide feedback without entering into a contract? Not sure if I am uniquely situated, but some of my work depends on timing per gov. regulations. In those instances, I ask a few preliminary questions to confirm that the client's objectives are achievable. If not, I simply let them know of the situation and, of course, not contract is established. I am confident the perspective client would provide positive feedback, if they could.

No, of course clients cannot provide feedback unless you actually have a contract and do some work for them. But if you're regularly spending more than 15-20 minutes discussing the client's goals, you could instead suggest that they set up a contract for a consultation, and then they could rate you after that.

re: "...but what you call free consulting services could get me disbared for violating ethics rules. Perhaps I am uniquely situated here."

Maybe you are situated "differently" than most Upwork freelancers.

Personally, I am immune from being disbarred no matter what type of consultation I provide. So I can not directly relate to your concern. Nor can most Upwork freelancers.

If you are concerned about disbarment, then you may have niche-specific concerns. But not entirely "unique" concerns, as there are thousands of people in your profession who are active Upwork freelancers.

I would never recommend letting a complete stranger/potential client have the possibility of leaving feedback for me based on a contract that only covers an initial conversation. I want to have a good feeling whether I can work with a potential client before they are allowed into the exclusive circle of potential feedback providers.

Of course, with feedback now being value-weighted in calculating my JSS, a 20-minute contract would likely have little to no effect on my Job Success Score. But I still wouldn't want to allow a wild card client leaving any sort of feedback for me. They won't pay me enough for 20 minutes of my time to make it worth my while.

I am often hired as a consultant. And often that means no discussion at all before getting hired and talking with the client.

Some clients are proactively insistent that a contract be started before any conversation takes place, either because they feel ethically inclined toward paying for my time, or because they want to ensure that they own the the contents of the conversation. Some clients ask to record the conversations.

I have no argument with Will or others for whom this doesn't seem like a good idea.

My niche isn't the same as others. Getting hired to provide consultation services without preliminary is something I willingly agree to and it has worked out well. But I can not say this is something everyone should do.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths