🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Feel cheated, not too sure what to do.
Page options
ryan_barrett
Community Member

Feel cheated, not too sure what to do.

Long story short; I've been working with this client for just under a month. The original job was to transfer over content from (what I assumed) his website and make it seem more professional. I applied to the job and we agreed on terms that I was able to do. From the get-go, there was additional work piled on. I didn't mind at first as the contract was for over $100 but now it's just gotten rediculous. I've just found out that he's actually working for somebody else and basically outsourcing the work out to me. He sent through a document this evening that was straight from the original client, who's talking about how things that have been put into the website (suggested by the client who hired me) is wrong and to change them, and also that he's visiting the office up in a location. I am around 4000 miles from that location so I can confirm that it's an outsourcing job now.

I just want out of this, can anybody suggest any course of action as to how to tackle this? I of course want to get money for the work that I've put in, but if I have to lose it that's how it's got to be.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
darrolhunt
Community Member

Report your "client". 

Sounds like the "client" was supposed to do the work, got overwhelmed with other projects, and, rather than say admit they bit off more than they could chew, they decided to hire-out to get the contract done. Get out from that job. You're no fool, Ryan, but someone took you for one.

It's a huge letdown because you already put so much work into it, and you would like to see a meager return (anything!) for what you contributed to. But you're already neck-deep.

Sometimes, we cut our loses. Smiley Sad

Everybody's working for somebody.

Darrol H wrote:

Report your "client". 

Unlikely that there is anything to report the client for.

browersr
Community Member

The issue isn't that the client is passing on work but rather how you are handling the project. If you are going to go fixed bid then it's an absolute must to be specific and concrete in the milestone description. You have to be tough but fair. If you give off the impression that you'd rather take it on the chin versus arguing over you rightful compensation, then expect to be taken advantage of... a lot. In the end here this has nothing to do with the client's pass through work. That's a red  herring to your actual problem. Time to take charge of the milestone. If you find that too difficult then going forward only do time based projects. 

kat303
Community Member

You have to be firm in how you handle your business (freelancing.) Just let the client know that you have gone above and beyond the requirements of the job and if they need any more modifications or have more work, that they need to close this contract and open an hourly contract. 

If you are currently working on something, just tell them nicely that you will finish this last piece and if there's anymore work to be done they need to close this contract because the requirements have been fulfilled and open an hourly contract.for the extra work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths