cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like got cheated with upwork hourly payment protection plan

visrosoftware
Vishal G Member Since: Oct 20, 2016
1 of 23

I was hired for $150,000 worth of project and client told me whatever hourly rate i would have . i need to add additional $10 to send bitcoin per hour + $10 per hour to cover any fees for sending bitcoins daily untill two weeks. and he hired three of my ids for developemnt work. However job description was totally different than what he told me work on. He also hired my different - 2 agency profiles from different-2 client profiles he created. Reason he told me that as it is big project. he need to split payments with different-2 credit cards.Moreover, he forced me to work for more hours so that he can recieve more bitcoins.Finally he hired three more of my agency profiles with $42 per hour asking me to just bill to purchase bitcoins only at the rate $20 per hour for bitcoin + $ 22 per hour for covering additional fees. Without realizing my mistake i kept sending more and more bitcoins daily relying on upwork hourly protection plan. but after doing it for 1 week and transferring over $2500 i realized something is wrong. Client is not focusing on project he just need to know if bitcoin is transferred or not. I tried to contact upwork but they never responded with good outcome.

I also tried to force this client to use upwork messenger instead of skype by making excuse that skype is not working. I cannot see his messages.

I am not even sure how Upwork hourly payment protection plan works as if they are reserving my money or not by chargin client on daily basis or not. This is first time in 5 years with upwork happened to me.

Job detail pages are as below:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please also see comments of other freelancer that faced this issue.

I am not sure if upwork is going to help me somehow with this ?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 23

So just to be clear... You participated in some client's wacky Bitcoin scam, which clearly violated Upwork policies, and when you didn't get all the money your scammer partner promised you, you feel like you were cheated by Upwork?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 23

re: "he hired three of my ids for developemnt work"

You truly are the gift that keeps on giving.

visrosoftware
4 of 23

Its not just me. It can happen with anyone. And i did not know if this was scam untill i realized too much money gone outward of my bank account. I was just relying on Upwork Hourly protection plan. but looks like upwork never deduct client's money untill later 1 week.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 23

Hi Vishal,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. I can see that you`re communicating with our team on your ticket and you have shared the evidence as well. Our team will review the client further and proper actions will be taken.

To qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection a freelancer needs:

• An hourly contract
  • A client with a verified billing method
  • An account in good standing
  • To log your hours with the Upwork Desktop App
  • To be visibly working on a contract-related activity in your Work Diary
  • To annotate your Work Diary with memos or activities labels that adequately describe the activity performed
  • To maintain adequate and fair activity levels
  • To stay within the contract's weekly limit

To learn more how you`re protected, check out our help article: Hourly Protection for Freelancers. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
visrosoftware
6 of 23

Yes all of these points are totally in my favour but when i was asking to upwork if they have deducted money from his credit card they never replied. I only accepted sending bitcoin just because i have been using upwork payment protection plan for last 5 years and i had full believe in this system. 

The guy  **Edited for Community Guidelines** i am talking to is from canada. Same kind of story happened with my friend who is in USA like how he got scammed. His client asked him to purchase itunes scratch card worth of $3000 and in favour client sent him $10000. And he got money in his bank account. After few days he filed petition from Canada to USA to get back that money and they taken back that money. So there are lot of scams and loopholes with credit card company like this going on by  **Edited for Community Guidelines** people in USA & Canada. Many racket also busted in India doing these scams by using magic number of USA/Canada.  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 23

I see damages fast approaching $ 10k...

I am STUNNED how anyone could ever have thought for one second that this was not at best money laundering, at worst out and out fraud.

You will likely not see a Cent of that money and all the money you sent to the "client" is gone too.

And with the multiple accounts you will at best "only" lose your top rated status for 3 months, at worst lose your account(s)

visrosoftware
8 of 23

Thoes accounts are for my employees. I have small team here. Is it really illegal to work as agency with team here in india ?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 23

@Vishal G wrote:

Thoes accounts are for my employees. I have small team here. Is it really illegal to work as agency with team here in india ?

Why are they not in your "employees" names then?

rverang
Community Guru
Renante V Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
10 of 23

@Petra R wrote:

@Vishal G wrote:

Why are they not in your "employees" names then?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS