cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feeling uneasy about a client...

Highlighted
Hayley M Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
1 of 6

So, yesterday, I was ecstatic about recieving an email that one of my proposals was accepted! One part bothered me: it was sent to my personal email, and not responded to on Upwork. I decided to give the benefit of the doubt, as the client had just started with Upwork a few days before I did. What I did was follow up with an email, and a response here on Upwork, to keep everything documented. 

I then received another email, from the same email address that had accepted my proposal (again, no response here on Upwork), which had spelling/grammar errors - too many for a person of such high position as stated in his/her email. Also, the email had conflicting information: that this person would conduct a formal interview, give me a tour of the company, and introduce me to my coworkers. However, prior to that, had stated that would be in he/she would be in Canada for 3 weeks, but needed this job started immediately. Even offered benefits of Medical/Dental/AD&D Insurance. Hmmmmm....

I kindly replied, through Upwork response system, that I needed some verifications because: the company does not have a website; the location that was found, through internet research, indicated that an office bearing the comapny name given, is in Arkansas, so that would be an impossibility for any type of interview; the many spelling/grammar issues with the email; a different name on Upwork, than in the email. (Also, the listing given of what the company does, doesn't add up. I've seen other posts, where this leads to "the company" wanting to deposit checks into freelancers checking accounts, and then having the freelance "deliver cash" to a location - um, it's called money laundering, folks.)

I'm posting on here to try and save someone else this same feeling. Apparently this "client" keeps getting new email addresses and posts a job of Project Admin, but then doesn't respond through Upwork. Instead sends a private email. The listing of duties in the private email does not match the listing on Upwork. Here is the listing from the email:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Now a Personal Assistant may complete many of the duties above...but a Virtual Personal Assistant, will not be making "regular contacts and drop-offs" for someone who is not even in the same part of the country. Also, part of the email stated: 5-10 hours of work a week for $400. Yup, too good to be true. *sigh*

I'm sure there will be no further response back from this "client". But I just wanted to share, and help spread the word. I'm also getting in touch with Customer Support.

Good luck to all in the job hunt!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

All greenhorns receive this. Some fall for it and get scammed and robbed. Many are incredibly naive and many don't take the time to thoroughly read the help section articles here before they start to seek jobs. And they fail to learn the ropes of this platform.

Do your homework, read the help material and if you have any doubts, post here for advice before doing anything.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 6

Hi Hayley,

I am glad you recognized that the job offer is not legitimate and decided to report it. Could you please flag the job post or send me a private message with the link to the job post and a screenshot of the email you received from the client?

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jason S Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
4 of 6

This has happened to me on internships.com, when looking for a position. Being out of the job market for a couple months, I jumped on the oppurtunity. However, as I was in the initial discussion phase, things started to not make sense and when I called the company the person represented, they did not exsist. Additionally, I was sent several checks which were turned over to local law enforcement.

Always be careful out there!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Hayley:

Until you have successfully completed and been paid for a couple jobs on Upwork, you need to return to the Community Forum to check with the people here before starting any job. The active forum participants here can tell you whether a job is legitimate or not.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 6
Hayley,

You have shown good judgment.

Thanks for helping other newcomers identify red flags for jobs which may be not only implausible, but potentially criminal and/or dangerous.

Best,
Michael
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS