cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feels a bit cheesy

flarenote
Peter J Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
1 of 7
So I've been working for a client, added time manually and had payments pending. A week or so after the last pending payment notification I got a message that the contract was suspended by Upwork and that I should stop working. Fine, I stopped working and didn't add any time after this message. Today I got a message that I have refunded the client Smiley Happy I never did this. It was Upwork who did it for me. I'm aware of the "protection" using auto tracking time vs no "protection" using manual time. But still feels a bit cheesy to force refund payments that are pending and from weeks ago. If it was within the weeks billing cycle, and after the suspended notice, I would have accepted it more. Smiley Sad
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 7

Peter,

It is possible that the client was using a stolen credit card, or did a charge back. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing unless you ask the client. I had a client suspended once, but it was just his credit card had expired and as soon as he updated it the contract was reinstated.

Sounds like there was something fishy about your client as they would not have refunded with something as simple as expired credit card.

Sorry it happened but without using the tracker the way it was intended you take that risk.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

These are indeed the rules of the game. I appreciate your post, and I appreciate your positive attitude about this. It is good that you accept and understand what happened.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
4 of 7

If the contract was suspended by Upwork and not by the client that sometimes signals that there is a problem with the client's account - payment method, a violation of ToS, etc - very often it has nothing to do with the freelancer or the work being delivered. Preston is right - your positivity is refreshing. Unfortunately, the lack of protection in manual time comes back to bite sometimes. 

smartbpo
Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
5 of 7

Peter, welcome to the platform of opportunities some avail opportunities by doing hard work and some avail via an evil way ( they know very well the loopholes in the system and capitalizing it).

flarenote
Peter J Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
6 of 7
When I think about it the client was a bit cheesy as well Smiley Happy Next time I'll just let the timer run.
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 7

There are clients, some even "well-established" who fully know how to game the system. When I first started I had no idea that bonuses could be revoked. I had a client pay one milestone and then use bonuses to pay for hours of additional work. The contract ended badly. I think was the client's intent all along- to force the freelancer to quit out of frustration thus avoiding the last payment. I should probably consider myself lucky that I was just out the last payment and not all the bonuses.  

Your situation is differently, but be aware there are cheesy clients who know exactly what they are doing to avoid payment. Woman Frustrated

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS