🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » File a dispute for unresponsive client not wo...
Page options
fahadhassan924
Community Member

File a dispute for unresponsive client not working

Hey everyone,

I worked with a client on a fixed-priced project. The client split the project into two milestones.

The client funded a total of 580$ for the whole project and i delivered him a first milestone work and also a second milestone 90% work before creating the milestone by the client because he is my regular client and we had trust. But now he is not respondind and he didn't even release the payment for the first milestone. 

I am waiting for 3-4 weeks now and he is not responding. 

I want to file a dispute but this is not working. As soon as I get to the page where I am supposed to file a dispute I just get to the chat-support where I get redirected to some random topics about this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fahad H wrote:

I just submitted the work for 1st milestone now. So if client will not respond do that submission so i will get the first milestone fund. 

If client does not respond within 14 days, funds will be pending for 5 days, and then released to you if they pass the security period.

Fahad H wrote:

But what about 2nd milestone after that? Will second milestone automatically activated?

The second milestone will not activate by itself. Client will need to fund it. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
sofia2008
Community Member

Fahad H wrote:

Hey everyone,

I worked with a client on a fixed-priced project. The client split the project into two milestones.

The client funded a total of 580$ for the whole project and i delivered him a first milestone work and also a second milestone 90% work before creating the milestone by the client because he is my regular client and we had trust.

The client cannot fund 2 milestones at the same time on a same project. First milestone has to be paid for the second milestone to be set and funded.

Was the first milestone funded and paid?

No, he didn't approve/pay for the first mielstone. 

Fahad H wrote:

No, he didn't approve/pay for the first mielstone. 

Never provide work on an unfunded milestone, no matter how long you have worked with a client.

Is there any solution now? Because he only activated 1st milestone. And iif i submit work for 1st milestone then i will only get first milestone funds. What about second milestone if clients nevery reply to me?

The client could not activate the second milestone because you did not "submit work" for the 1st milestone.

You are waiting for the client, but you did not use the fixed price contract/milestone as it is designed.

I just submitted the work for 1st milestone now. So if client will not respond do that submission so i will get the first milestone fund. But what about 2nd milestone after that? Will second milestone automatically activated?

Fahad H wrote:

I just submitted the work for 1st milestone now. So if client will not respond do that submission so i will get the first milestone fund. 

If client does not respond within 14 days, funds will be pending for 5 days, and then released to you if they pass the security period.

Fahad H wrote:

But what about 2nd milestone after that? Will second milestone automatically activated?

The second milestone will not activate by itself. Client will need to fund it. 

Fahad H wrote:

I just submitted the work for 1st milestone now. So if client will not respond do that submission so i will get the first milestone fund. But what about 2nd milestone after that? Will second milestone automatically activated?

For the next time, if you have a first milestone funded by X$, submit with the "submit for payment" button the corresponding % of work.
If the client does not reply or does not ask for corrections, after 14 days the payment will be automatic. Afterwards, the client can finance a second milestone for the remaining % of the work.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Fahad: clients are not obligated to respond.

When I submit my work, I get paid AUTOMATICALLY if the client does nothing.

re: "I am waiting for 3-4 weeks now and he is not responding."

If you submitted your work over 14 days ago and the client did nothing, that is good. That means you have already been paid. There is nothing to dispute. This matter is over.

re: "I want to file a dispute but this is not working."

There is nothing to dispute.

You said you submitted your work over 14 days ago and the client did nothing. So all money in escrow has now been released to you. There is no need to contact Support.

RE.: "i delivered him a first milestone work and also a second milestone 90% work before creating the milestone by the client"

Not sure about second milestone.

I don't work on unfunded milestones.

If I delievered 90% of the work to a client, it is because 90% of the pay was funded in escrow. Then when I click "Submit work for payment," I receive 90% of the pay automatically if the client does nothing.

In my world, there is no such thing as doing work "before the client created a milestone."

But the problem is that he break down the project into 2 milestone, 1st milestone is of $130 and second milestone is of %450. However i have already completed 90% of the total scope of work but he created first milestone with less budget i.e 130 and 2nd milestone is of $450. So i have completed 90% of the work. He activated only 1st milestone. So if i will submit all the 90% of work to 1st milestone submisison of work so i will get only 1st milestone i.e $450. And last time when i had a chat with him so he was claiming that lots of things are left but i have completed 90% work and i have proofs of our chat. 

Fahad, you made a mistake.

I recommend that you let it go.

Stop working for this client. Upwork can't help you get more money.

This client is not violating any Upwork rules. Your chat logs don't matter.

re: "But what about 2nd milestone after that? Will second milestone automatically activated?"

Milestones are never automatically activated.

Experienced freelancers do not work on second milestones until the client funds the payment in escrow.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths