mahum6

Filed a refund against me

A client has asked me to deliver the file before time. My deadline was today and I just ended the contract because I didn't meet it. Please suggest

14 REPLIES 14
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahum,

If you as a freelancer close a fixed-price contract with money in Escrow, you agree to refund the money to the client.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I am sorry for mistake in posting. The client ended the contract, not me.

You and your client agreed on deadline. You missed it. He wants a refund. Be nice and refund. What help do you expect from the community?

No I didn't miss the deadline. The deadline is today. The day haven't ended yet. I will make the refund if necessary. But  But I need clearance, what does the deadline mean actually? Do I need to meet deadline as soon as the day starts or by the end?

You should have asked your client. When it's a short deadline, I always ask the client "What time do you need it?"

So in fact you have not really missed the deadline. The client chose to close the contract before you had a chance to submit the work. 

sam-sly

Is your client in a different timezone than you? Sometimes there are different understandings of a deadline and time zone deadlines make it worse. Some people perceive a deadline as before the listed date and some by the end of the date. It is helpful to confirm the time and time zone of the deadline vs. just a date. If I were your client I would have emailed first. But I am someone who tends to see a deadline as the end of day the listed date (I would ask about the time zone though). 

I always, ALWAYS clarify the exact deadline with the client during interview and again mention it when accepting the contract:

"Thanks for the offer, as agreed I get it back to you by 12 noon UTC Monday!" (Time, timezone, day/date as appropriate)

I also always factor in extra time so I can invariably turn things in well before whatever deadline was agreed. It's usually around the deadline that was more than achievable from the outset, but by setting client expectations to a later date / time gives me the chance to under-promise and over-deliver which always works well.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahum,

Please communicate with your client and try to resolve the misunderstanding amicably. You'll be asked to approve their refund request or reject it and initiate a dispute.

Untitled

In all honesty:

If you haven't done the work yet, then just agree to the refund.

Regardless of the exact time of the deadline.

If the client is asking for the refund, it means she would prefer to get her money back rather than get the work you were asked to do.

And if you didn't do any work on this yet, then you're not really losing anything. You spent zero time doing the project, and you'll get paid zero dollars for it.

kat303

@Mahum S wrote:

A client has asked me to deliver the file before time. My deadline was today and I just ended the contract because I didn't meet it. Please suggest

I understand from your other posts that the CLIENT closed the contract. Are you assuming it was because you didn't meet the deadline or did the client tell you this?  Did you send any work to the client before he closed the contract? If so, did you send it using the Submit Word and Request button?  And is the client asking for a refund of the funds in escrow?

mahum6

Thanks all for your opinion. 

I worked as an academic writer privately and I had the time to make the submission till the end. I am used to do research on literature till the maximum time and wrote the final product at the end. At this, I will take the advice given by Ms. Petra. Give extra (actual) time but deliver before time.

Yes the zone time differ by 11 hours. When the client resend me the offer, it is 10:30 pm here and 9:30 am there. So the zone time makes a great difference. It might be one cause of the problem. Thanks Ms. Corrine I will ask for the time as well.

I somehow assume that my deadline is ended. and somehow the client did tell me so. He asked to submit the work I have done, but as I only did my research only, I failed. This also causes ending the contract. 

I can see the only solution to reconsider the way I work on this website. Complete work before time AND ask time in short deadline.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I appreciate it. Thanks again

cupidmedia

The most important thing is communication with your clients. Always confirm exactly what their deadline is, as Petra stated. Some clients will be more flexible with deadlines than others. Personally when I set a deadline as a client I set it at least 2 days before I actually need something, if I have a hard requirement - especially being a client in Australia, my timezone is whack compared to everyone else (I'm ahead of pretty much everyone). But usually my deadlines are more guidelines and I'm flexible. Other clients will vary.

Out of interest, you say you're an academic writer and it sounds like this was an academic writing job. Was it for some kind of student assignment? That would explain the hard deadline. You should also know that writing student assignments/papers are against the Terms of Use and not allowed.

mahum6

No it was not a student assignment. It was a paper of research paper, specifically a literature review. He did the research and hired me for writing it in academic manner.