Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing taxes for Upwork earnings.

kfowler19
Kyle F Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
1 of 15

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and I made income on Upwork. I didn't receive a T4 slip, and I wasn't withheld any amount of money whenever I got paid. No federal taxes paid on that income.

I'm still in the process of filing my taxes on TurboTax and I see that I'm currently eligible for a $919 refund. Can this be possible even though I didn't pay any income tax? I thought the refund was based on how much you were withheld, so how can I receive anything back? Will it change as I go through? Also, I filed it under casual labour rather than employment because it was just temporary and not so formal.

Called the CRA twice, one agent said I could receive a refund even if I wasn't tax deducted, the other said I couldn't. Great help...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 15

We are all freelancers, too, and not really qualified to give tax advice.  Your best bet is to work with a local tax expert.  Also, TurboTax has people available to answer your specific questions (at least in the US).

kfowler19
3 of 15

Thanks, Mary. Was hoping some others might have run into this before, but I'll definitely have to give TurboTax a call tomorrow.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 15

TT is incredibly helpful.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 15

Well, I know nothing about Canadian taxes, but I wouldn't imagine you could call self-employment earnings as "casual labor". Is that actually a choice on Canadian forms, lol?

kfowler19
6 of 15

It is, believe it or not! They basically define it as temporary, not-so-formal work. No T4 slip, tax deductions, or even a formal paycheck, either.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 15

@Kyle F wrote:

It is, believe it or not! They basically define it as temporary, not-so-formal work. No T4 slip, tax deductions, or even a formal paycheck, either.

Well, I peeked ... I know Uncle Sam would not call what you earned "casual".  Hmm ... a move to Canada might be in order.

kfowler19
8 of 15

Might not be a bad idea, depending on your political beliefs...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 15

I thought ALL labor in Canada was "casual."

No, wait. That's Australia I'm thinking of.

mobeenmuzzammil
Mobeen M Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
10 of 15

Hi All,

I have a similar question, I am a Pakistani in Canada. Do I pay taxes in Canada or Pakistan?! I'm so confused. While getting my SIN number, I asked the officials, and they didn't have any information for me regarding working with non-Canadian clients while being in Canada being a non-Canadian Smiley LOL
I would really appreciate it if anyone has any idea regarding this Smiley Tongue
Thank you

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS