dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
11 of 15
kfowler19
Kyle F Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
12 of 15
Hi Mobeen,

Sounds like you’d have to file taxes for Canada. When I was dealing with this I called the CRA and was told basically if you made any significant amount while living in Canada you have to file it.

Just call the CRA, they’ll give you a more in depth answer.
mobeenmuzzammil
Mobeen M Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
13 of 15

I'm still a little confused. The link that Ramesh sent states:

"1. Income derived by a resident of a Contracting State in respect of professional services or other independent activities of a similar character shall be taxable only in that State. However, in the following circumstances such income may be taxed in the other Contracting State:

a) if he has a fixed base regularly available to him in the other Contracting State for the purpose of performing his activities; in that case, only so much of the income as is attributable to that fixed base may be taxed in that other Contracting State; or..."

According to this, I would have to pay if I was a resident, which I am not, I am in Canada on a student visa, and for students it says: 

"A student, apprentice or business trainee who is, or was immediately before visiting one of the Contracting States, a resident of the other Contracting State and who is present in the first-mentioned Contracting State solely for the purpose of his education or training shall not be taxed in that first-mentioned State in respect of remittance received by him from abroad for the purpose of his maintenance, education or training."

This is why Im so confused, since none of my clients are in Canada, and I am not a Canadian resident. :'(

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
14 of 15

It is upto you, basically. Whichever convenient for you!

kfowler19
Kyle F Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
15 of 15
Just call the CRA they’ll know for sure.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS