» Forums » Freelancers » Filling taxes
Page options
markzolotoy
Community Member

Filling taxes

How are we filling our taxes?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see. So, I am reporting on the net income. However, I am using a standard version of TurboTax. Will that work?

Well, I report the gross and then write off expenses. I know you can do either way but I like to match what is reported to the IRS.

I don't know if the standard version of TurboTax will work. I suppose you'll have to verify that it allows you to write off expenses and report with a 1099-k.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
2ef54d61
Community Member

You're gonna have to be a little more specific if you want a useful answer. That's a really vague question. 

markzolotoy
Community Member

How do I file taxes for 2021? I didn't get any form from Upwork.

If you're U.S. based, you'll start getting one from Upwork next year, I believe. Right now, they didn't report any of your income you made here to the IRS unless you've made a ton and under very specific circumstanses.

2ef54d61
Community Member

You won't be getting any form from Upwork. You'll have to go through your history and figure out how much you made last year and report it manually. It's a pain. 

Which item in the tax return to use for Upwork earnings? It's my first year.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Depends on for which of the 180 countries on upwork you ask. 

lysis10
Community Member

I filed before I even got my 1099-k. You can get a total from the transaction report. Download it to excel and then you have to do a little manipulation to separate your writeoffs (the commission fees and subscription if you have it). I also like it to keep a record of what I made monthly and what I paid to Upwork monthly.

Anyway, you can then total your income. What I got in my spreadsheet was on the dot the same as reported on the 1099-k.

TurboTax has a section where it asks for income and then in there you can add Upwork as a 1099-k. I use the self employed version of TurboTax.

I see. So, I am reporting on the net income. However, I am using a standard version of TurboTax. Will that work?

Well, I report the gross and then write off expenses. I know you can do either way but I like to match what is reported to the IRS.

I don't know if the standard version of TurboTax will work. I suppose you'll have to verify that it allows you to write off expenses and report with a 1099-k.

Hi Jennifer! You seem to be very knowledgeable, so I hope you can help me. I added up all my earnings from Upwork. Can I subtract Upwork's service fees to get the total I need to report on my IRS forms? Do I understand correctly? Thanks!!

markzolotoy
Community Member

Proudly filing tax return in the US!

d1d6bfb1
Community Member

I can help you in filling but I am new here. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members