cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering Out Certain Job Titles

Highlighted
Ryan R Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 10

It seems like the vast majority of freelance gigs available for writers fall in one of the following categories: 

-Ghostwriter

-Cryptocurrency

-Get my posts published somewhere

I don't doubt that some people are willing to take on these gigs, but I have zero interest in any of these areas.I know I can do the "-[unwanted term]" formula in the job search itself, but I'm wondering if it's possible to customize my job feed to filter out those jobs automatically? 

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

Hi Ryan,

I would suggest using the Advanced Search function which allows you to exclude certain keywords and then use those as your saved searches.

Screenshot from May 16, 2018 3_45 PM.png

~Nina
John P Member Since: May 16, 2018
3 of 10

Thank you Nina! this is really helpful. 

Ace Contributor
Scott S Member Since: Aug 29, 2016
4 of 10

Is is just me or can someone explain as to why we look to be limited to 40 characters when wanting to exclude certain words or phrases when setting up a saved search?  I have a list of about 50 items that I need to be able to exclude so that I can dramatically reduce the amount of time currently required to search through the job postings. If this is currently truly a restriction, can you PLEASE lift this?

Thank you.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 10

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Could you please share more information about the way you're using the search feature and the rationale behind excluding such a high number of keywords? I haven't come across this method before and would like to get a better insight, in order for our team to better understand different ways the feature is being used and consider possible changes. 

I'd also like to invite other freelancers to weigh in and share if they are using a similar approach when excluding keywords.

Ace Contributor
6 of 10
I mainly a mechanical engineer and conceptual product designer. Even
with specific categories defined and adding the limited number of
excluded words that I'm currently limited to, it takes me multiple hours
to look through all of the new listings that appear from one day to the
next. I've already spent the time to put together a substantial list of
almost 100 items that I would like to exclude. I'm not going to post the
entire list, but here's a small sampling: after effects, architect,
banner, book cover, comic, game, interior design, JAVA, Shopify,
T-Shirt, etc. I don't do any of these things though as stated above,
even with a small, specific set of categories defined I still get tons
of listings that have nothing to do with my area of expertise.

With that having been said, is there some specific reason why we are
limited to 40 characters of excluded words? 40 words I could possibly
better understand, but 40 characters? I'm sure that it's a software
thing. I'm also sure that there's got to be a way to change this.

Thanks for listening.

Scott

Ace Contributor
7 of 10

So can we get something done about this to dramatically increase the current limit of only allowing 40 characters? I doubt that it would take much software development effort to lift this restriction.

Ace Contributor
8 of 10

One more comment - You do realize that in eliminating the need to search through jobs that don't apply to my areas of expertise saves me a substantial amount of time. This time can be spent focusing on both submitting proposals for pertinent projects as well as do the work on actual projects, therefore allowing me to complete more total projects. This in turn makes more money for both Upwork and myself. I would think that this would be a high priority for Upwork as a whole.

Ace Contributor
9 of 10

So it looks like we're just going to ignore this software restriction which is costing its freelancers time and therefore costing Upwork Money.  I just love the crickets on this one...

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
10 of 10

Scott S wrote:

So it looks like we're just going to ignore this software restriction which is costing its freelancers time and therefore costing Upwork Money.  I just love the crickets on this one...

UW is globally reknowned for its cricket habitat.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS