Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally had a really bad client

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
11 of 14

Marina R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

What to do when this happens is something worth thinking about, and discussing in the Forum. In my own two recent situations, I wish I had reacted in a better way... immediately nipping things in the bud rather than letting contracts continue when a client started exhibiting this behavior.

I need to think of effective ways to communicate the fact that it is not acceptable for the client to ask an hourly contract freelancer to not bill for his or her time.

Preston, I cannot agree more. What is difficult for us, the freelancers here, is that we think that we must put up with bad behavior, because they also control our reputation on the site. And while we can leave a bad review (and oh, boy, did I ever, in a moment of anger, right after the "you're imagining this in your head"), our bad reviews don't affect them. 

Yes, I was lucky to have the perk, and it can take a week to remove, but in the meantime, I left a comment. Also, I'm not looking for new clients right now, so I don't really care who sees it. 

But to be treated with such disrespect, not just the insults at the end, but also the not showing up to meetings and thinking that because I went through a (more like endured a few hours of a bad) training, he has somehow improved my life and now I owe him ALL of my time. 

And thinking through this whole last conversation that we are fixing our relationship when I was clearly breaking up with him, too. Yes please, insult me more, why don't you, I'll then switch to a fixed price contract so you can be unhappy with my free work - forever. 

Oh, the audacity. 

Hi Marina, thank you for posting this and sorry to hear what a crappy experience you've had with the client.

It sounds like you have been nothing but professional througout the whole ordeal - take how you've behaved as a positive from an unfortunate situation, and don't spend anymore of your valuable time thinking about them (easier said then done I know), because they're not worth it.

You're post and the replies to it have been very helpful to at least one person (me).

Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
12 of 14

Richard S wrote:

Your post and the replies to it have been very helpful to at least one person (me).

Aww Richard I'm glad it was helpful. All I can do now is tell it as a funny story. He will forever be a frustrated angry man, and I'm happy to be free. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
13 of 14

Marina, thanks for taking the time to share.

"Gee, I ignored my misgivings about that client and once the contract was under way, he got better organized and focused, became more pleasant, a real peach to work with" -- said no freelancer, ever. And it behooves us all to remember that!

Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
14 of 14

Phyllis G wrote:

Marina, thanks for taking the time to share.

"Gee, I ignored my misgivings about that client and once the contract was under way, he got better organized and focused, became more pleasant, a real peach to work with" -- said no freelancer, ever. And it behooves us all to remember that!

Right? Ha, yeah, I should have trusted myself better. I was just in a position in my life where I felt like I need to take more chances so I can try and make a difference. Now I know better Smiley Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS