cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account irregularities ?

ayanmullick
Ayan M Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
81 of 1,070

Today I got a call from a support professional, Ilenia, only to tell me that she didn't have any idea why the account wasn't approved or what was the system-identified irregularity that they based their decision on. However, she assured that it was being looked into and would be resolved. 

She refused to share the number to contact the team that takes these decisions. 

Fingers crossed.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
82 of 1,070

Hi Ayan,

I understand your frustration caused by your account suspension. I have followed up with the Team that is handling your situation and you request has already been escalated. Somebody will reach out to you with further details soon.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ayanmullick
83 of 1,070
The irregularity was that the system identified that I was logging in from India and the US everyday. It was due to the VPN I use for my current employer. And without notifying the user about anything they said........ "I regret to inform you that based on this review, your account will not be restored. Please be advised that further appeals of this decision may not be responded to as our decision is final. " Now they requested the docs for id verification. I request for the system to be amended so that the user is notified of any potential irregularity and about any outstanding actions.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
84 of 1,070
Kudos to Ayan for returning here to fill in the details as he has learned them.

I think it is important to realize that much of what happens in terms of suspending accounts or putting accounts on review is done by automated algorithms which were set up to limit oDesk clients' exposure to fraudulent or sub-standard contractors.

But because these algorithms are automated, there is a high false positive rate. Many people are being flagged by algorithms who have not done anything wrong. But they were *perceived* as having done something wrong by oDesk's automated algorithms.
ayanmullick
85 of 1,070

True. But still; the support rep. said that their decision was "Final" fully knowing that the system can produce false-positives. 

2. I wasn't notified of anything. There must some system issue. I had selected to be emailed for posts to this thread too. I don't get any email updates.

3. And now they denied my verification since the utility bill for my rented apartment wasn't in my name.

957c0c26
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
86 of 1,070

I think it is important to realize that much of what happens in terms of suspending accounts or putting accounts on review is done by automated algorithms which were set up to limit oDesk clients' exposure to fraudulent or sub-standard contractors.

I can appreciate that. I don't want to be defrauded any more than anyone else! Unfortunately for me, as a client, I feel I'm being harshly scrutinized. I've had to resubmit my ID verification docs 3 times now. The most recent decline was because my bank statement wasn't in color (it was issued to me by the bank in greyscale---I don't even know what colors they actually use in their graphics).

All I'm trying to do is throw my money at people. Why they gotta make that so hard? 

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
87 of 1,070

Thanks for the feedback Ayan. I'll follow up with the team and we will improve this process. 

ayanmullick
88 of 1,070

I created Request #3771684. But looks like they are ignoring it. It's hasn't been updated in 7 days. Rick from the Support team told me yesterday that someone from the verification team would call me. Nobody did. Today when I called Dana said that the Verification team aren't allowed to call and that her supervisor will call me. She hasn't. She said that they aren't allowed to internally chat with members of another team about a ticket since the chats aren't auto-logged into the request. Can someone suggest what I should do.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
89 of 1,070

Hi Ayan,

The Team is currently reviewing the documents you have submitted. I see that they have already updated you through the ticket about the process. We appreciate your continuous patience and cooperation.

~ Valeria
Upwork
amitoj_odesk
Ace Contributor
Amy S Member Since: Feb 8, 2014
90 of 1,070

At last you got a reply, I and my freelancer both got our IDs blocked, even though my freelancer provided all proofs and chats they needed - it have been 5 days and they have not even responded to my request and I am not even usre what's happening on oDesk right now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS