🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Finding the RIGHT people
Page options
lindsay71

Finding the RIGHT people

We been looking for the right people to build sites, but when we make a post, we always get people that do not fit the criteria. like enough hours, English level, or even feedback score. We test some people and we find out that there profile is basically a bunch of crap. We find that many of the free lancers especially ** ones,, fake the profiles-- agency ones really- they have a staff members that has passed the tests and then do up a great resume, but they are no where near the skill level they are.. so what are some great ways to chose the RIGHT people.. and the ones that say oh the coding is shotty or very disorganized as many of them state that too.. *"Removed by admin"
3 REPLIES 3
expuser

You could try hunting through profiles and inviting contractors that you select. Private job. Interview over IM (that sorts out language level). Then test.
anne_ginger

I posted something similar to this on another thread btw, here it is with a bit of edits: 1. Always look at the portfolio and past jobs, that tells a lot more than their profile and cover letter. 2. On interview, ask the freelancer how long it will take to do a certain task and interview the freelancer with very specific questions about the job, do this on IM so you can assess both the freelancer's knowledge and communications skills (place the details you can get from this in the contract when you make the offer). 3. When hiring someone new, limit the number of hours he or she can work on a certain project. This is to test the freelancer's skills first and know if he or she can indeed produce quality work. 4. Never believe someone who claims he or she is an expert. True experts are very careful with the use of that word, and again, portfolio and feedbacks from past jobs says a lot more than whatever the freelancer says. 5. Veer away from agencies, and I say that because most agencies suck, not all, but MOST. If hiring through an agency, make sure that you talk to the freelancer who will do the actual work. If the hiring manager won't let you talk to the freelancer to discuss job details, move on. That is a sign of a very bad agency. 6. If the freelancer says the coding is shotty etc, ask him or her how she or he can fix it. What are the steps and how much time does he or she needs to fix things. If they give vague answers or demand they need 10 hours of paid work to assess the coding etc, they are BSing you. 7. If a freelancer BSes you, decline their job application and pick 'misrepresentation pf skills/obvious skills mismatch/ignored instructions in the job posting' as reason for declining. This way, the faker will get hidden when applying for other jobs, especially your future job postings. 8. For hourly jobs, ask the freelancer to send a report everyday that they work on your project. If the freelancer fails to do so, limit the hourly limit to 0 and ask that he or she hand you over whatever part is done (this prevents the freelancer from milking you for hours). This applies to a freelancer that is new to you but of course if you already know the person, no need to be this vigilant. I have more to share but maybe I'll post it as an article in the client's section, hope this helps. Good luck!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
kandytech

It is very hard to find the right person. It takes a fair few hours investment to long-list, short-list, review profiles, interview over Skype, and test. I think a lot of contractors/agencies know that for most of the jobs, most of the time the client is in a rush and the first likely candidate will get the contract. I think oDesk should (may be it already does by the gist of what Diane M's point 9 above) rate contractors' applications for jobs - so if they are declined, the reasons are recorded and, in the long term, used as a grading for the contractors. Much like a contractors 'responsiveness' is indicated now. This has to take in to account not only how the skills match, but the covering letter (adhering the clients requests in the initial job description), and screening questions. I have posted jobs that do not need a covering letter, just quick answers for two screening questions and I still get boiler-plate agency covering letters pasted in to the answer section - with no regard to the question or my request.