🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Finding work
Page options
raofdesigns
Community Member

Finding work

Hi there. I'm a content writer. I've had some amazing projects on Upwork but in the last few weeks I've struggled to get the same level of work. I've been putting in 10+ bids a day, buying more credits, contacting previous clients etc but so far nothing has worked.

I had a difficult client who left me a 5* review then followed this up with a terrible one. I'm really worried this is what's causing the problem. Even though I went above and beyond for them, they can of course write anything even if it's unfair.

Can anyone give me any advice? Whether it's in general or anything that needs to change on my profile.

10 REPLIES 10
kfarnell
Community Member

It *is* slow at present for those of us in the UK.  Oddly, there is a higher ratio than usual of higher-paid projects so you may need to think bigger.

Don't fret too much about the drop in your JSS. Not everyone takes too much notice of this. I had precisely the same a few weeks ago and you can rebuild. However, you might find it helpful to have an explanation to hand regarding you being a bad fit (or whatever) in a non-defensive way if someone asks.

Re profile: You're obviously from the UK, so opening with that is a waste of space. Your first two sentences should be about what a marvel you are at something or other as they're the sentences that get seen when you bid.

You could boost your profile and make it much more specific.

"4+ years on Upwork (been here since the start!)"

This isn't a selling point.

"Pride myself on excellent client relationships"

Goes without saying... and it makes people wonder why you need to point it out and can have the opposite effect to what you intend.

And you have no portfolio. It would be a good idea to put *something* there.

Thanks Kim, I will make some edits. I definitely want to be sharper so always happy to hear constructive feedback as I find it really helpful.

I put the 4+ years thing on because I'm not a newbie and I think that makes a difference when you've been through the hard slog to become established.

Rachael O wrote:

Thanks Kim, I will make some edits. I definitely want to be sharper so always happy to hear constructive feedback as I find it really helpful.

I put the 4+ years thing on because I'm not a newbie and I think that makes a difference when you've been through the hard slog to become established.

The problem is that 4+ years might seem like a selling point but let's imagine that a client has it in their mind that 5 years is what it takes not to be a newbie...

Don't put information that is subject to interpretation but instead convey what you want to explicitly.  You could even say I have been through the hard slog and know XXX.  If they ask you how many years, you tell the truth but don't volunteer anything unless you are sure it will be perceived as you want it to.

Thanks Mark, I didn't think of it like that. I will remove it from my profile. Really appreciate your advice!

65dab6ce
Community Member

I would try raising your rates, Rachel.

As Kim mentioned, there may be more opportunities for higher paying gigs. You're definitely not a newbie and are, judging by the revews, great at what you do. I'd take the leap.

All the best!

Thanks Remi. It's a tricky one as I don't want to raise them to the point I put people off hiring me. I will consider it though.

I think your profile is pretty good. Honestly I have seen profiles that are disastrous but they win jobs even beating other profiles that look perfect, so in my opinion the profile is important but more important is what jobs you are applying to and how you write cover letters.

Are you applying to jobs related to content writing or to some others too? Are you checking the hire rate, the average rate paid, etc. before applying? This is valuable information. If you are applying to clients with no history that is always risky. Did you really notice a change after that review you mentioned? You have good ones afterwards so I don't know...

Hi Sergio thanks for your response. I've just found since that review the level of work I've been getting has slowed. This week I've barely had any work, in fact right now I'm doing a job that's graphic design related which I haven't done for a good couple of years on Upwork.

There's many writing jobs where people give a budget of $1,000 but then in the description says "we'll pay $10 per article"... or less! So that's very misleading. There's a lot less writing jobs as of late, and they are mostly very low paid.

Hi Rachael,

I'm also a marketer and a writer.  I agree with the other freelanceers regarding having a catchy first few lines and adding a portfolio.  I would also increase your rates a tad. 

We're probably reviewing and applying to the same jobs and I've noticed even the "intermediate" projects have a range more in line with $40-$50.  You have more experience than just $20/hour.  That rate screams novice.  Consider minimally increasing the rate ($30, $40, $50) over the next few weeks.  

I wish you luck!

Best,

Robin

Ok, the JSS is important but some clients don't pay too much attention to it. Eventually you will recover but lots of patience are required.

I agree with others on the hourly rate of yours. While a low rate may attract some clients it may drive away some others, especially good ones, because they will think something is wrong with you.

You should avoid those jobs with misleading descriptions. $1000 implies that you should use 6 connects by the way so it's even worse. Please check their average hire rate. I don't apply to jobs posted by people with less than 50%. It means that more than likely they will not hire anyone. And being in the UK you will probably have better luck with clients from the UK. Have you tried? There is an option for UK clients to look for locals, so it may help you if you do an advanced search.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members