🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Finished job but Client is not responding...
Page options
masterkau123
Community Member

Finished job but Client is not responding..

So I applied for a job where the client needed someone to write a script and make top 10 style videos. So the client wanted to take a trial test for everyone who applied for a job and sent a word document on 23rd of April (I have attached it here) mentioning all the details. The document also said that I would be paid for completing the trial if it met all the needs as mentioned and the due date for submitting the video was 26th of April. So I spent 2 full days making the script, recording the voiceover, editing and the final touches and mailed the video to the client on 25th April. It's been more than a week now and I haven't received any response from the client. I can see in Upwork that the client's recent activity was a day ago and I even saw him online many times over the past few days but the client continues to ignore my messages. I even told them that if they aren't satisfied with my work at least give me some feedback but they are straight up ignoring me. So I just feel like the client might use my footage without even paying me as promised. I messaged them several times and I haven't got any response. Can someone please help me in this situation.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Devender V wrote:

So I applied for a job where the client needed someone to write a script and make top 10 style videos. So the client wanted to take a trial test for everyone who applied for a job and sent a word document on 23rd of April (I have attached it here) mentioning all the details. The document also said that I would be paid for completing the trial if it met all the needs as mentioned and the due date for submitting the video was 26th of April. So I spent 2 full days making the script, recording the voiceover, editing and the final touches and mailed the video to the client on 25th April. It's been more than a week now and I haven't received any response from the client. I can see in Upwork that the client's recent activity was a day ago and I even saw him online many times over the past few days but the client continues to ignore my messages. I even told them that if they aren't satisfied with my work at least give me some feedback but they are straight up ignoring me. So I just feel like the client might use my footage without even paying me as promised. I messaged them several times and I haven't got any response. Can someone please help me in this situation.

A client does not need to promise to pay you, ever, it is entirely up to you if you get paid or not. This is how it works:

You: Dear John, I'm happy to do the trial task for you. Please let me know when you are ready to send an offer for it.

You very likely will not receive an offer from this client. But you would have not worked for free for days! Plus, it is strictly forbidden for a client to request free work, so you should flag the job posting for violation of ToS and stop encouraging this behaviour. 

Stop pestering the client, he's a scammer that got what he wanted, and he will not reply to you any longer. 

Devender:

Martha is right about all this.

You made a mistake. You need to learn from your mistake.

If you want to succeed, it is important that you no longer desire to be paid for the work that you did for the scammer.

The good news is that the video you made belongs 100% to you, and you may post it in your portfolio, change it, sell it, or do anything you want with it.

Yes, I understand sir. I kindly request you to take strict action against them. I will gladly provide all the screenshots of our chat as evidence if needed. I don't want them to do something like this again to some other freelancer.

Devender V wrote:

I kindly request you to take strict action against them. I will gladly provide all the screenshots of our chat as evidence if needed. I don't want them to do something like this again to some other freelancer.

You worked for free. Get over it and move on.

Actually, it is freelancers like you who work for free who facilitate and encourage this nonsense in the first place.

If the project is still posted, please click on the green "Flag as inappropriate link" and report the client. You won't be able to get any money back, but at least you can stop anyone else from bidding on it.

Yes thank you.

I thought the client was trustable mam and they sent a document that promised $40. I would never agree to make a custom trial video for free. All this may not mean much to you mam but I did a lot of hardwork hoping to get hired over a long time as I'm having some money related problems so understand my situation. Moving over isn't so easy knowing that you did all that hardwork for nothing and the client is just free out there without any action being taken against them. Instead of pointing out that freelancers like me encourage this maybe you can understand and do something about it. I really had high hopes that the community forum would help me solve the issue but I guess that's not happening.

re: "I really had high hopes that the community forum would help me solve the issue but I guess that's not happening."

Devender: It sounds like you are disappointed, but maintaining a positive attitude.

The Community Forum participants who helped out in this thread did solve the problem, to the extent that the problem can be solved. You have been informed about all your options at this point. We specifically told you what you did wrong and what you can do next time.

If by "not solving the problem" you mean that we didn't get you your money, we're sorry about that. But there's nothing we can do about that. You worked without a contract. It's pretty straightforward. Neither the Forum nor Upwork can get you money when you work without a contract.

If it was me, I would be grateful for the GREAT videos that you ended up with, which can be a fine addition to your portfolio.

kat303
Community Member

Of course the client isn't responding. He got what he wanted. why should he pay you? Don't be so trusting with strangers on the internet. Always make sure you HAVE a valid contract and escrow is FULLY funded before you start work. Free work on promises doesn't pay the bills or put food on your table 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths