🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » First Dispute .. make me feel better?
Page options
daydreamdesigns
Community Member

First Dispute .. make me feel better?

Hey guys. I'm pretty new here, have only a few small jobs under my belt. But sadly, I have had my first dispute.

Feelin' pretty crappy about it. I hate confrontation - makes my heart beat so fast!

We're at an impass - I say did the work as requested, he says I didn't. We both think we're right.

(trying not to go into detail here)

This is my nightmare when it comes to design.

Any advice for disputes in general?

or maybe just send me some funny pictures to make me feel better?

Thanks Upworkers

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "We're at an impass - I say did the work as requested, he says I didn't."

As a general concept, the reason a client hires a freelancer is because he is seeking specialized expertise that he doesn't have, or because he wants you to do something that he doesn't have the time or willingness to do.

So while I can't address your situation specifically, I can point out that it is the freelancer (not the client) who knows whether or not she actually did the work.

A client should accept the freelancer's expertise and when a freelancer submits the work as finished, the client should pay for that work.

If the freelancer's communication style is not what the client prefers, or if the client doesn't like the freelancer's style of work, then the client should choose to work with OTHER freelancer's in the future. Disputing the freelancer's work or refusing to pay for the work are not valid, moral options.

Of course we are only talking about situations in which the freelancer actually did complete the assigned task. If the freelancer doesn't do the task she was hired to do, then she should refund the fixed-price escrow money to the client.

In this case it comes down to style and communication. They didn't like the style (to which I say it's because of communication -or lack therof- on the client behalf. )

Is there a way to protect oneself from this sort of thing in a contract?

Also, another fun learning experience from this is:

Define what ASAP means!

Kendra, that's a tough break, but you seem to be taking it in stride, which is great. I generally stay away from jobs that mention ASAP, or jobs with any text in ALL CAPS. I have to say that it must be challenging working in creative fields like graphics and writing, because people have different tastes so your style may not appeal to everyone. I'm lucky to be a developer because for the most part, code either works or doesn't.

John K wrote:

Kendra, that's a tough break, but you seem to be taking it in stride, which is great. I generally stay away from jobs that mention ASAP, or jobs with any text in ALL CAPS. I have to say that it must be challenging working in creative fields like graphics and writing, because people have different tastes so your style may not appeal to everyone. I'm lucky to be a developer because for the most part, code either works or doesn't.

John,

The project actually wasn't ASAP when I first applied to it. I didn't hear from the client until later, when they said it needed to be a rush. I had the time to do it that day so I agreed (with a rush fee).
I don't mind doing rush jobs if they pay a fee and I have time. I have learned though that I need an acutal competion date to avoid assumptions of what ASAP means. But they are not my favorite, of course and will certainly be more wary of them in the future.

wtricks
Community Member

I had 1-2 projects in the past when the relationship turned sour, let's say a client almost started getting aggressive after 3 hours of working together. In this case I usually just cancelled the job and took the hit financially, since otherwise I'd get my money and also a horrible reating from the disgruntled client. Depending on the price you quoted, think if you can just cancel the job and get the client to find a freelancer to whom he 'clicks' better

Ramona J wrote:

I had 1-2 projects in the past when the relationship turned sour, let's say a client almost started getting aggressive after 3 hours of working together. In this case I usually just cancelled the job and took the hit financially, since otherwise I'd get my money and also a horrible reating from the disgruntled client. Depending on the price you quoted, think if you can just cancel the job and get the client to find a freelancer to whom he 'clicks' better

I wish I could! It was a very small job (and as we all know, cheap clients are the most difficult). The client already closed the project and requested a refund. That is when I sent the dispute.

I can't comment on the dispute but seems like you already had some communication problem with another client, maybe you want to work on that and the way you approach new projects and new clients.

Valerio S wrote:

I can't comment on the dispute but seems like you already had some communication problem with another client, maybe you want to work on that and the way you approach new projects and new clients.

Thank you for your advice.

A job with no money paid will cause a hit to your JSS. So, unless your finished product was half completed, shoddy, full of errors or the work of a 3 year old, then you should get paid for what you did. IMO do NOT grant the client his refund request. 

In the dispute phase, an Upwork mediator will basically tell you to try and work out some sort of comprimise that will be agreeable to both of you. The mediator may even tell/suggest to you to grant that refund request. Upwork's mediator does not have the authority to decide who's right or wrong nor what they tell you is what you have to do. so, if neither you or the client can come to a mutual agreement the next phase is arbitration.

In this phase the client must pay a $291 fee. You also have to pay that $291 fee. If both of you pay neither of you will get that fee back no matter who is decided the "winner." But, If you pay the fee and the client doesn't. you not only be determined that yoiu should get the escrowed funds but you'll also get the fee back. That also goes for the client, If you don't pay the fee, he will automatically get his refund and he'll also get the fee back.

It's a gamble, If the escrowed funds are less then what the fee is, he may back down. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members