Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: First Hourly Job questions

jyoder7
Ace Contributor
Jeremy Y Member Since: Dec 2, 2018
11 of 13

Thanks for all the help. I'll use Desktop App to track my hours and progress. One follow-up question...

If at times I can work on the project, but not on my usual computer with the Desktop App, can I manually add hours to the project? If so, would I add them thru the App? Or should I first clear it with the client to see if they're OK with it? Or is any of this considered bad form and I should only use the App if I start with it?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 13

re: "If at times I can work on the project, but not on my usual computer with the Desktop App, can I manually add hours to the project?"

Yes.

If the contract allows manually-logged time, then you may definitely do that.

re: "If so, would I add them thru the App?"

You may add manually-logged time using the desktop app, or the Upwork.com website, by logging in and clicking on the contract listing, and going to the work diary,

re: "Or should I first clear it with the client to see if they're OK with it?"

If you are uncertain, then it wouldn't hurt to check.

But clients are the ones who decide if a contract allows manual time or does NOT allow manual time.

I do not personally ask clients about whether or not it is okay to use manual time if the contract allows it. But I do try to use manual time as little as possible.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
13 of 13

Jeremy Y wrote:

I didn't realize not using the Desktop App was a viable solution, but good to know. I'll have to think about that.

So you're saying the client trusts you to log your hours fairly, just as you trust them to pay you weekly based on what you tell them? Would you only recommend that with established clients, or you do it all the time with new ones as well?

I never use the UW tracker, so yes, I use manual hours with any clients with whom I have hourly contracts. But as I noted, I limit my exposure the first couple of weeks; I have been supporting myself as an independent contractor for over 20 years and worked for other consultants before that which has given me a lot of client management experience; and I am comfortable assuming a degree of risk at the outset of each relationship. My business is very consultative so by the time we have a contract in place, I should have a good sense of who the client is and how they're going to behave. And if I don't, then their response when I tell them how I track and log hours-- my own tracker, logged into UW once a week -- usually tells me what I need to know. 

I've only ever been cheated seriously once, by a non-UW client. And I've only once had to hound a client (also not on UW) so relentlessly that I essentially fired myself (an ad agency that owed me >$30k including nearly $10k in reimbursable travel expenses and announced upon receipt of my 2nd invoice that they would pay me when their client paid them -- when they finished the campaign two months later). 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS