First Job Yay!

islamayoub
Islam A Member Since: Dec 15, 2013
11 of 13
Sure
oluwakemi
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
12 of 13
I agree with Islam that we should encourage not discourage him. I was also in his position once, after job applications for about 4 weeks as a newbie without getting a response, I applied to a job post of transcribing of 30 minutes of audio 1 dollar, yes $1. I knew immediately that I will get that job because of the client 1 dollar bid, and I did. Immediately I got the offer, I told the client I am doing this for the feedback and nothing else, and she said she understands. When I told my sisters I got a job offer at that price, they started making fun of me because they were really not encouraging with the freelancing job at first, but I took my mind from the money that night and did the job. I will never forget that night. The next morning after submission, the client was pleased with my work and she started pleading with me to do more work for her, she said she has increased my rate to $1.25 which she paid for the first job, and that since I don't have anything to do right now, why don't I continue. Then I send her a message and I told her the job was for the feedback and not for the money, I told her I know I am worth better than that and this will be the first and last time I will do a free job. After that first job, I stick to my decision, never to accept that kind of job again. Though it took me about another 3 weeks to get a better job, but I did and I have being doing fine since then. Now, I transcribe 30 minutes of file for 20 dollars or more but nothing less. As long as it is a one time thing then its okay, but if you continue in that trend then you will never be able to move up from there. Collect your feedback and make sure your next job is a great one.
islamayoub
Islam A Member Since: Dec 15, 2013
13 of 13
A total of 7 weeks, You are much better than me (^_^) it took me 8 or 9 weeks to get the first good one, I was counting how many declines I get per day (^ ^) no need to mention newbies hunters, I am in progress with 2 transcription jobs I applied to one of them a long time ago ( when I was looking for anything ) and as we know newbies get the hardest job with the lowest price, that job was 2 hours and 7 minutes and the bid was 20 $ which means 1.5 $ for 10 min, Guess what I am doing with the other one: 4 $ per 10 min. (Note that I am a native Arabic) that is a huge progress and I am really happy with that not only because the is better but also I am improving my English listening skills. once of those times I was about to lose hope to get anything and asked oDesk into their FB page, one of the page fans said "It will take you dozens of application to get your first job, Don't give up" I think I will never forget this sentence. Looks like each of us has a good story about his first step, Don't worry one day you will tell us your story. Thanks Oluwakemi B. Islam Ayoub
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS