🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » First Upwork Project
Page options
digitalfastmind
Community Member

First Upwork Project

HI,

it's my 1st job in Upwork, so bear with my newbie question please!

I contacted a personl that had a requirement and was happy to give him a quote. The quote i do are not hourly based, i work on project  and get charged upon result.

The customer is happy and asked to send him the payment form/invoice.

How do i proceed?

I see that under proposal i have hourly rates to set, but i need to send him a "total" cost only.

What's the best way? I need to charge him for 140$ totally so no hourly rates or anything,

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

You should have had the contract started with a fixed price milestone of $140 funded in the escrow.

If you think the client is honest and every discussion has been going in good spirit, you can try to rectify the situation:

- Tell the client that you were so fixed on getting the results done that you forgot to start the contract.

- Ask the client to send an offer and fund the full project with 1 milestone of $140.

- Accept the offer.

- Wait a couple of hours and then use the Submit Work button where you include the results again.

Now your client has 14 days to review the results and can close the contract. After 14 days you'd get the money from the escrow if the client doesn't respond and you can close the contract.

So, if the client is a decent person, it could still go well! 👍

For the future, read the official guides how the system works so you save yourself from dangerous situations. 😉

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

Fabrizio S wrote:

HI,

it's my 1st job in Upwork, so bear with my newbie question please!

I contacted a personl that had a requirement and was happy to give him a quote. The quote i do are not hourly based, i work on project  and get charged upon result.

The customer is happy and asked to send him the payment form/invoice.

How do i proceed?

I see that under proposal i have hourly rates to set, but i need to send him a "total" cost only.

What's the best way? I need to charge him for 140$ totally so no hourly rates or anything,

Thanks!

Is there a contract? He has to hire you and send you an offer. He can set it for escrow in the amount he owes. You should not work this way moving forward. You are setting yourself up to get scammed.

JoanneP

Hi Fabrizio,

I'd like to confirm that Jennifer is right. You should only start working once you have an active contract with a client. The hours you log on hourly contracts are automatically invoiced to your client. You may want to check this help article to learn more. Also, you can benefit from reading the freelancer resources we have compiled here, designed to help new users to get started on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

You should have had the contract started with a fixed price milestone of $140 funded in the escrow.

If you think the client is honest and every discussion has been going in good spirit, you can try to rectify the situation:

- Tell the client that you were so fixed on getting the results done that you forgot to start the contract.

- Ask the client to send an offer and fund the full project with 1 milestone of $140.

- Accept the offer.

- Wait a couple of hours and then use the Submit Work button where you include the results again.

Now your client has 14 days to review the results and can close the contract. After 14 days you'd get the money from the escrow if the client doesn't respond and you can close the contract.

So, if the client is a decent person, it could still go well! 👍

For the future, read the official guides how the system works so you save yourself from dangerous situations. 😉

Thanks Everyone, will indeed be more careful and now time to check the docs in details and see !

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members