cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: First time Freelancer

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 21

Well, I think I'm about to have another dispute coming my way. I'm a very rational person you see, and I've come to the solid conclusion that it's for no reason other than this thread jinxed me. Also, it's Scott's fault. That's all I'm gonna put in the mediation reason: "Scott's fault." I can't interact with these squeaky clean "first-time modded post" people without having problems.

The rest of you have blood on your hands. I hope you're happy with yourselves causing sweet little delicate flower ol' me issues before the designated April time.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

Well, I think I'm about to have another dispute coming my way. I'm a very rational person you see, and I've come to the solid conclusion that it's for no reason other than this thread jinxed me. Also, it's Scott's fault. That's all I'm gonna put in the mediation reason: "Scott's fault." I can't interact with these squeaky clean "first-time modded post" people without having problems.

The rest of you have blood on your hands. I hope you're happy with yourselves causing sweet little delicate flower ol' me issues before the designated April time.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 21

The sad reality about disputes - esp.in light of  Nichola's 'maybe' is the conundrum if they are worth our time and effort.  

I decided not based on my work sked as Upwork policy is to not review message room conversations prior to initiating dispute status.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

[Makes note of early arrival of flake season and slowly backs  away from open proposals]

Community Guru
15 of 21

I appreciate the lulz y'all.

For real, I had to bump this thread just because it's so friggin HILARIOUSLY my luck lemme tell you. lol Talk about bad times and say april is coming, I kid you not 1 hour later I get a message this looks like I'm gonna battle ahead. I thought I would give you guys some lulz and appreciate my snarky misery.

The universe just likes to remind me not to get too comfortable and throws it at me in threes too. Yer girl is about to get curb stomped in several ways.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
16 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

Also, it's Scott's fault. That's all I'm gonna put in the mediation reason: "Scott's fault."

I understand that is now being made the default drop-down choice. JSS drops, disputes, downtime, everything. I am thorough that way.

Jennifer M wrote:

I can't interact with these squeaky clean "first-time modded post" people without having problems.

Some people see an open wound and run to provide aid and comfort. Others grab the Morton's and a hot poker. Dare I suggest which personifies Jennifer? Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 21

Springtime... Come to think of it, I only have three UW projects/client experiences that I hope to never repeat, and all three booked in the spring. I'm busting every garter right now (so weird and unexpected to be buried in work this time of year), so thinking maybe I can wrap some things up by spring and hide for a few weeks, then start over with Summer Clients. (My faves always come in the summer and fall.)

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
18 of 21

When I was new, I didn't vet my clients carefully enough. I did get one person who wanted me to take someone else's photo (this individual owned the rights) and manipulate it so she could use it for the cover of her book. Even if Photoshop were part of my skills (it isn't), I really wasn't going to do that. Our exchange wasn't really that negative - I declined and she was a hair miffed but nothing serious, I thought - but she dinged me something fierce.

I had given her the benefit of a doubt on, I think, a 3.75 star rating (can't recall exactly, but it was something like that). After that, sadly, I stopped giving ANY clients the benefit of a doubt. For a long time. Later I came to something in the middle, once I had the experience to know which projects looked like trouble and which didn't. But that was a lesson learned. Vet your clients. (They're vetting you, too. It only makes sense. This is business.)

Community Guru
19 of 21

Melanie H wrote:

When I was new, I didn't vet my clients carefully enough. I did get one person who wanted me to take someone else's photo (this individual owned the rights) and manipulate it so she could use it for the cover of her book. Even if Photoshop were part of my skills (it isn't), I really wasn't going to do that. Our exchange wasn't really that negative - I declined and she was a hair miffed but nothing serious, I thought - but she dinged me something fierce.

I had given her the benefit of a doubt on, I think, a 3.75 star rating (can't recall exactly, but it was something like that). After that, sadly, I stopped giving ANY clients the benefit of a doubt. For a long time. Later I came to something in the middle, once I had the experience to know which projects looked like trouble and which didn't. But that was a lesson learned. Vet your clients. (They're vetting you, too. It only makes sense. This is business.)

Mannn even legit clients think swiping images from the internet is ok. I have a snarky comment on one of my articles that I have to deal with today where he's basically saying "you moron, why don't you just take an image from the internet" and I'm just thinking "brah, you can't do that Smiley Mad Smiley Mad Smiley Mad Smiley Mad Smiley Mad" mannnn the Upwork playground is always full of fun and games I tell you what.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
20 of 21

I pity the poor soul that tries to take on our Jennifer.  Bless their hearts.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS