🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: First time Upwork user - question about h...
Page options
de0f27df
Community Member

First time Upwork user - question about hiring

Hello - I've found an accounting freelancer whom I THINK I would like to use.  I've filled out the form, including a detailed description of the job, but I would like to hear from the freelancer before committing to the work.  If I click "Hire" at the bottom of the form, am I then committed to move forward?  Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "And can I post the job just to the specific freelancer I have in mind?"

Yes.

There's a LOT of flexibility.

You can post a PRIVATE job, which will be seen by nobody other than a freelancer you invite.

Or you can post a PUBLIC job and anybody who sees it can send a proposal.

The truth is, although you CAN send a "Hire Now" offer to a freelancer without first talking to him, most clients don't do that. Most clients use the button that INVITES the freelancer to send a proposal or discuss the job first. Most freelancers probably prefer that, too.

There is ZERO OBLIGATION when you do that. Talk to the freelancer first. Make sure you're on the same page, and only use the "Hire" button when you decide to start a contract.

If you're new... Then please: come back to the Community Forum if you have any questions at all.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Jack G wrote:

Hello - I've found an accounting freelancer whom I THINK I would like to use.  I've filled out the form, including a detailed description of the job, but I would like to hear from the freelancer before committing to the work.  If I click "Hire" at the bottom of the form, am I then committed to move forward?  Thank you.

If you click HIRE then yes, if the freelancer accepts, you have a legally binding contract.

Instead, don't use the "HIRE" button, but the "Post Job To Invite" button.

hire now.jpg

de0f27df
Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply.  And can I post the job just to the specific freelancer I have in mind?

petra_r
Community Member

Jack G wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  And can I post the job just to the specific freelancer I have in mind?

Sure, just make sure you set it to "Invite only" - that makes sure only those you invite can see it.

Good luck!

de0f27df
Community Member

Thanks very much!

re: "And can I post the job just to the specific freelancer I have in mind?"

Yes.

There's a LOT of flexibility.

You can post a PRIVATE job, which will be seen by nobody other than a freelancer you invite.

Or you can post a PUBLIC job and anybody who sees it can send a proposal.

The truth is, although you CAN send a "Hire Now" offer to a freelancer without first talking to him, most clients don't do that. Most clients use the button that INVITES the freelancer to send a proposal or discuss the job first. Most freelancers probably prefer that, too.

There is ZERO OBLIGATION when you do that. Talk to the freelancer first. Make sure you're on the same page, and only use the "Hire" button when you decide to start a contract.

If you're new... Then please: come back to the Community Forum if you have any questions at all.

Very helpful - many thanks.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths