🐈 Community
taustinray

First time dealing with Upwork CS and it's not going good AT ALL!

So about a month ago I posted that I got my first "Contract On Hold" notice for a contract I had with a client. The client had violated the ToS and informed me they were deleting their account on Upwork. It's now been a month with no communication from the client and the contract is still showing "On Hold".

Well because I don't want this contract showing active anymore so I had no choice but to contact CS to take care of this. I provided all the information on the contract, explained what happened and asked how to take care of this without my JSS getting hit. So far I would have been better off just leaving this contract sit.

First Reponse basically states that I would have a negative impact because I never worked the contract or got paid for that contract. HOWEVER, I did get PAID! Not only that, since it was an hourly contract and the client got suspended the same week I worked the contract I didn't get paid until TWO WEEKS later after the review process and the release process was done. In order for me to get that money the Payment Protection covered it.

So I replied informing CS that they are completely wrong. Showed the Work Diary that shows me working the contract and the Transaction Log showing Upwork paying for the contract and taking their 10% fee.

Second Response was an apology for the confusion since they were referring to my CURRENT CONTRACTS that I haven't been paid on yet. Contracts that have absolutely *nothing to do with the contract or client* that I was contacting them about. Not only that the closing of the reply starting referring about accepting payments OFF UPWORK and that I should be reviewing the ToS in regards to accepting payment off Upwork.

So my reply to that was to ask why contracts and clients that have nothing to do with a contract and client I'm asking for assistance with has anything to do with anything. Since well, it doesn't. Also I was very curious to ask why the reply from CS basically included conjecture that I have some how violating the ToS.

Mods/Staff: What's up with this? I mean seriously, I asked a simple question about a contract/client and all the answers so far have been about all the other contracts/clients I have and the fact I shouldn't be accepting payments of the Upwork platform.

This is not how CS should be handled.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tom,

I am sorry your experience with customer support has been confusing. I will follow up with the agent's manager and make sure the issue discussed in the ticket is clarified.

It also looks like as long as the client resolved the problem with their payment method, they can continue using Upwork. If you and your client still don't intend to continue using the contract, you can go ahead and close it yourself. One contract without feedback is not going to affect your Job Success score negatively.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10

just post the question here

you'll get much better info here

@Jennifer M wrote:

just post the question here

you'll get much better info here

The problem is that with this situation I have no choice but to go through CS to see what can be done to not be the one to be punished for a client they kicked off the site (ie suspended). Of course CS also suggested I reach out to the client to have them fix the contract. Which is just bonkers. 1) Upwork cut their access. 2) Upwork won't give them access unless they fix their account. 3) Clients that were removed from Upwork by Upwork for violating the ToS aren't going to jump through all the hoops to log back in to close and rate a contract just to help a freelancer they'll never deal with again. 

This wasn't my first contract with this client. In less than two weeks I worked four other small hourly contracts and made about $218 ($236 counting the "on hold" contract) from this client on those contracts that all have 5 star ratings. So it's very clear that the client is happy with my work. Multiple contracts, basically 50% to the new $500 break and the relationship is ended not because of what I did or the client being unhappy with me. It happened because of something the client did so why should I (or any freelancer in this position) be the one that suffers?

I pretty much know the end result, it will just have to be a contract that never ends and never sees any activity on it. I've got this feeling that eventually that will come back to bite me as well. I have a contract that moved over from Elance still showing open on my jobs list despite the fact that the job was completed and the funds were released by the client to pay me. Not only can I not close it, the client doesn't appear to have moved their account to Upwork and since I can no longer log into Elance I have no way to communicate with this client.

I have a feeling that somehow if I ask for this contract to be closed I will still see a negative impact for absolutely no reason. Plus, you know, I don't want someone in CS to imply again that I'm violating the ToS because that could end very badly for me based on the amount of confusion they seem to have.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tom,

I am sorry your experience with customer support has been confusing. I will follow up with the agent's manager and make sure the issue discussed in the ticket is clarified.

It also looks like as long as the client resolved the problem with their payment method, they can continue using Upwork. If you and your client still don't intend to continue using the contract, you can go ahead and close it yourself. One contract without feedback is not going to affect your Job Success score negatively.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thanks Valeria. I'm not even sure the client's account is even active and I haven't heard back from them for four weeks. I'll take care of this contract then. Again, Thanks.