cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fixed Contract Issue

sandeepshirsat
Sandeep S Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
1 of 15

This was my first project on Upwork. We finalised on $ 175 for Avada theme integration. Client created a new Job with Dummy milestone and 1$ associated cost. Till the site was about to complete, Client showed me that he was very happy with the work and kept on giving me good feedback. He also promised me 5 rating and payment multiple times. He kept on telling me changes till 3 weeks and I did that since this was my first project. But in the end when I asked for payment he started telling me mistakes I did.

When I submitted the porject only $1 got credited may be becasue of that dummy milestone.

Now I have following doubts-

1: I couln't find option for resubmitting the project or asking for remaining payment amount

2: Now Since this is my first project, he can write a bad review and can spoil my profile though I worked more than 80-90 hrs for these 175$. Is there any solution for this.?

3: Is there any way we can flag such Clients as inappropriate since they are taking advantage of new comers.?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 15

Sandeep, I'm so sorry this happened to you. You should never, ever work unless the milestone is fully funded according to the rate terms in the contract. In the future you'll know this from personal experience. You can certainly use the messages feature to write your client and explain that the amount paid was not the amount agreed to in the contract. Hopefully you can clarify any outstanding issues and resolve the payment. You have the choice to dispute the job, but be warned that they very rarely work out in favor of the freelancer. You also have the option to leave honest feedback about the client and respond to any feedback he leaves on your public profile. You cannot, however, mitigate the effect of the private feedback he will leave when the job is over. 

sandeepshirsat
Sandeep S Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
3 of 15

Thanks for the reply Melissa!

One more doubt-

Will this open job affect my success score any way?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 15

Hi Sandeep,

I'd still suggest you communicate with the client to resolve any misunderstanding and discuss payment. It looks like there had also been some bonus payment on this contract earlier. 

Also, in the future, always make sure that the whole amount for the milestone is funded before you deliver any work for that milestone in order to benefit from Upwork Fixed-Price Protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork
clark_tammara
Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
5 of 15

Hi Valeria K., I wanted to know if a contract will be needed for fixed-rate jobs?

I have been sent everything that is required for a writing job and have started the writjng but I wasn't sure if I will need a contract.

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

I'd still suggest you communicate with the client to resolve any misunderstanding and discuss payment. It looks like there had also been some bonus payment on this contract earlier. 

Also, in the future, always make sure that the whole amount for the milestone is funded before you deliver any work for that milestone in order to benefit from Upwork Fixed-Price Protection.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 15

@Tammara C wrote: .... I wasn't sure if I will need a contract.

Only if you would like to be paid. If you are happy "writing" for free you don't need a contract. The client will get what they paid for in that case....
clark_tammara
Community Leader
7 of 15

Thanks Petra R.! I thought a contract would be neededSmiley Happy

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 15

Tammara, 

Be sure to check out the posts in the "New to Upwork" section of the forum. The information contained therein will help you avoid being scammed and manage your contracts properly. 

clark_tammara
Community Leader
9 of 15

Thanks Tonya P, This client hasn't sent a contract as of today, what should I do? The client also has five stars the payment method is verified also.

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
10 of 15

Hello Tammara,

You will need a contract in order to get paid. To learn more about Fixed-Price protection, please click here.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS