🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fixed Rate Refund process
Page options
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Fixed Rate Refund process

I understand that the refund/dispute process has changed. But it seems rather vague about what options a freelancer has on a fixed rate, paid in full contract which receives a refund request from a shady client. 

If we have no option to reject a client's refund request and can only ignore it, and UW does not get involved, how does the process continue? 

What are the options for the client and the freelancer?

Thanks for the responses.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Cairenn R wrote:

I understand that the refund/dispute process has changed. But it seems rather vague about what options a freelancer has on a fixed rate, paid in full contract which receives a refund request from a shady client. 

If we have no option to reject a client's refund request and can only ignore it, and UW does not get involved, how does the process continue?

How long ago was the payment made? The client "can" theoretically dispute for 30 days.

If you feel the refund request is not justified, simple send a friendly, professional, brief message to the client that you are respectfully declining their request.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Cairenn R wrote:

How long ago was the payment made? The client "can" theoretically dispute for 30 days.

If you feel the refund request is not justified, simple send a friendly, professional, brief message to the client that you are respectfully declining their request.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

It is currently in pending due to be released to me in 2 days. Her explanation has nothing to do with my work. She altered the correct documents after she closed the contract.

She's not entitled to any refund per terms of contract.
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I've already informed her of my decline.

How long does it go on if I ignore it and refuse? I assume she can file a dispute eventually, but with extensive doumentation to back up my refusal, I don't see that she would win. Even her own messages in the room show anyone looking at it that she's trying to get the work for free. 

Cairenn R wrote:

I've already informed her of my decline.

How long does it go on if I ignore it and refuse?

She can (theoretically) dispute up to 30 days after payment...

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Thank you, Petra.
She chose to threaten me which resulted in her getting reported and blocked. 
She bugged off as soon as she realized her scam failed. 🙂 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Annnnddd...she did. 
Retaliatory. 

Such a shame. My other clients love my professional work. No problems until she came along.

Cairenn R wrote:

Annnnddd...she did.

Dispute?

Stay firm and polite (in equal measures) and don't give in.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I learned years ago in a corporate conference room that presentation is everything. 

She told 1% of the story, I handled the other 99% by taking each of her statements one-by-one. Then I mentioned Arbitration fees...which I'm sure she knew nothing about and had to look it up. She backed down and told me to keep the money (Thanks! It was mine anyway!).

Then in a final act of martyrdom, she's in the room by herself right now quoting Bible verse. 

Just messaged UW to close it out.  

Cairenn R wrote:

I learned years ago in a corporate conference room that presentation is everything. 

She told 1% of the story, I handled the other 99% by taking each of her statements one-by-one. Then I mentioned Arbitration fees...which I'm sure she knew nothing about and had to look it up. She backed down and told me to keep the money (Thanks! It was mine anyway!).

Then in a final act of martyrdom, she's in the room by herself right now quoting Bible verse. 

Just messaged UW to close it out.  

Throwing arbitration fees around really does work. It's great. One day I'm gonna get someone who is gonna call my bluff though lol But I always figure if someone is fighting over a small amount then they don't got no moneysssssssss.

Cairenn R wrote:

HA! Well played. Very well played.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths