cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Rates

Sarah S Member Since: Dec 28, 2014
1 of 6

I am wondering why all the jobs I apply to, I get a pop up asking me to agree that all fixed rates may not pay me for work done. Also why is it that whatever job I choose, even when it pays hourly, the fixed pop up insists on my agreeing to such terms? That gets to scary when I want to apply for more jobs.

What happens when you do a job and someone refuses to pay you? does that mean oDesk absolves itself from the deal, and where does a Freelancer seek to have the money paid to him or her?

Thanks all.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Sarah 

Your question is not relevant to this topic. But it is true that payment is not guaranteed in Fixed payment contracts. Client may simply refuse to make payment. Payment guarantee is only for Hourly projects only if hours are logged properly as instructed in odesk support articles. You should not be getting the same pop up for hourly jobs. Please contact odesk support if this is happening.

That being said our payments are never really protected until it reaches our bank account, it is freelancer's resposibility to filter out bad clients and protect our payments by dividing the work in steps and asking clients for milestone based payments at each steps. Here are some guidelines to avoid bad clients: Job warning signs 

Also look at some threads open by other freelancers who are complaining about clients who refuse to make payments. There are some great tips about how to protect your payments. Consider odesk as a market place to meet potential employers and rest is upto you.

Thanks

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

Sarah, when you apply to fixed rate jobs you get the same pop-up warning that ALL of us get. This is how oDesk works.

You should know that many, many contractors LOVE to do Fixed Rate jobs on oDesk.

But you have to know how to do handle them correctly.

Lots of information about that here on the forum, but if I had to sum it up I would say:

Start with small fixed rate projects (only a few hours of work), and see if client pays you promptly without asking for extra work.

If client does that, then continue working with the client. If client does not pay, is slow to pay, or asks you to do a lot of work outside what was in the original agreement, then don't continue working with that client.

If you start with small jobs when working with a client for the first time, there's not much risk.

If the job is big (more than a few hours of work) and you have not worked with the client before, you need to do one of three things:

a) have the client break off the first chunk into a smaller MILESTONE.

or

b) not accept the job.

or

c) accept that you may be paid nothing for all the work you do.

OH! One more thing. Aseem is right: you don't want to be posting your questions in random forum threads. Next time please do a search of the forum and find the correct thread in which to post your question. If there is none, then create a new thread.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 6

Kudos for both AB and PH for taking the apparent lead on the subject of where to post topics. This NEW oDesk Community forum is rapidly becoming very disorganized, thus, diminishing the effectiveness of its search features.

Kudos for SS (Member Since: Sunday as of January 2, 2015), she is a freelancer with a question about "fixed rates." Aside from possibly not searching for the answer before starting a new thread, the post does appear in "oDesk Community / Community Discussions / Freelancers," which seems logical to me...lol.... In the US one might use the phrase: "close enough for government work"!

Now, back to the issue of the Community discussion groups becoming disorganized; having setup hundreds of new forums for websites, I believe oDesk failed to identify and establish appropriate primary groups and more importantly, sub-groups. Maybe oDesk over estimates the power of the search features; and whether members will even use those search features.

Neglecting to establish adequate primary groups and sub-groups, in addition to failing to establish effective and relevant tags, has negatively affected the usability of the forum. My professional opinion regarding the current tags is that they are already a mess.

Geekzapoppin "close enough for government work." Urban Dictionary, 03 Oct. 2005. Web 02 Jan. 2015.

Why the MLA citation? Overkill, nothing but overkill! With regard to writing in forums, how far does an author go to achieve acceptable writing style? How does one handle "off-topic" material when writing in a forum (plenty of examples here in my post)? Do style guides for writing in forums exist like those for creative writing and other forms of writing? Hint: Delve into studies involving "Social Media Marketing (SMM)."

Do I suggest that authors in this forum adhere to some sort of style guide? Heck no! However, the Community [oDesk] might provide more meaningful guidelines that go as far as to include examples of "good vs. bad" practices.

While the oDesk Community forum is a great place to find discussions about various topics as they relate to oDesk; for answers to questions or to resolve problems, oDesk members might want to search the oDesk Knowledge Base Articles, "Most frequent questions from users like you," and "Browse questions by category" features all of which can be found in oDesk Support.

For oDesk Support, please go to the oDesk Help Center https://support.odesk.com/

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 6

Hi all,

Thank you for helping Sarah find the answer to her original question.

I would like to clarify that since Sarah's comment was originally posted on a thread about a different issue, it was moved and a separate thread was created to keep it on topic.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
6 of 6

Thanks VK, and kudos for you too! Now that makes a lot more sense; this is the new thread after the first was relocated. I wonder how much it would cost oDesk to implement live chat for members particpating in the Cummunity. Just kidding, too expensive....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS