cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed price contract, client wants to end without paying for work done

jwhitedesign
G Jason W Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
1 of 16

I have a fixed price contract. appears to be very straight forward, and should have been, BUT the client canot provide any high resolution images, product details, or even quality images of the 5 products.

I have done the best I could with whats been given,  but she wants out. I'm good with walig away, but I have a few hours in te mess at this point, and I would like to get some compentsatiion for my time.

Should I cancel the contract, or ask for some of the agreed payment?

vatsalbhandari
Vatsal B Member Since: May 10, 2015
2 of 16

Hello, Jason!

This is the most common dilemma we face as freelancers. Ideally, we would like to be compensated for the time spent working on the assignment (even if it ended up being a mess) but, most often than not, the client is reluctant to pay and in some cases, unilaterally, closes the contract.

The thumb rule that I follow: compensation > $100 - I fight, compensation < $100, I flight.

Hope this helps, Jason!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 16

@Vatsal B wrote:

Hello, Jason!

This is the most common dilemma we face as freelancers. (...) most often than not, the client is reluctant to pay and in some cases, unilaterally, closes the contract.

What are you talking about?

This is definitely not the experience of the vast majority of people on this platform. The issues you have with clients have a totally different cause, I fear.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vatsalbhandari
4 of 16

Hello, Rene!

I think you misread the context. I am not implying that freelancers have "issues" with clients on Upwork, in fact, I believe Upwork's platform is quite fair for both freelancers as well as clients.

What I intended to imply is when an assignment becomes a mess (as stated in Jason's post), most clients are not very keen on compensating for time spent on work that's not up to expectations or no work at all. 

By all means, Upwork has been very productive for both clients and freelancers - sorry for the lack of clarity regarding my previous post as I wrote keeping only Jason's situation in mind. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 16

@Vatsal B wrote:

Hello, Rene!

I think you misread the context.

I believe you missed Rene's point. It was probably too subtle for you...

nicholasxcato
Nicholas C Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
6 of 16

He's talking about the fact that you expect a freelancer to just eat the cost of time wasted on a project where they deliver the work only to get dupped by some crappy client.

This happened to me once for just $50. I fought tooth and nail to be paid for the time i put in and eventually got my money back and the client banned.

This is not acceptable no matter what amount of money you are owed. 

Its very unprofessional to suggest a freelancer just hand out free work when they were expecting compnesation. This only makes it worse for everyone else. Thats what he was getting at..

vatsalbhandari
7 of 16

Hello, Nicholas!

You have a very valid point, but that is only true if the client was crappy. In Jason's case, we do not know that - he did not mention anything about the client so I am assuming it was just communication issues. 

Everyone is entitled to fight for the amount he or she is owed. However, I am of the belief that my energies can be utilised somewhere more productive rather than hassling over an amount - purely a personal opinion. 

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
8 of 16

@Rene K wrote:

What are you talking about?

This is definitely not the experience of the vast majority of people on this platform.

I also believe there are vast majority of people who live in alternate world in which cheating clients don't exist.

Do you have hard data?  On the other thread you mentioned 80/20 rule.  Can we infere that 20% who make money are happy and haven't run in to cheating clients?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 16

I have had 66 jobs on Odesk/ Upwork over the last five years and I have never had a problem with a cheating client.  Just saying.  I'm extremely cautious about my proposals and turn down almost all invitations I get.  In other words, I am quite selective and it has worked for me.  Same thing with clients off of the platform.  Never had an issue yet and I've been freelancing off and on for 20 years.

vatsalbhandari
10 of 16

Hello, Mary!

It seems like you are an exceptional freelancer and kudos to you for that. I am glad to know that you never had a problematic client on Upwork, alas, not everyone has the same experience - I was duped of $1,200 by a client on Upwork (this was before we had escrow for fixed-priced jobs) and the support couldn't do much about it either. 

I fought but to no avail. I moved on. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS