cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed price contract makes me confuse

rickyy10
Ricky R Member Since: Jul 18, 2017
1 of 13

Hi, I am new & need help. A client gave me a fixed price contract last month. I requested payment for the milestone last month and it went well. Then client told me that from now on wards all my next payments will be paid on a monthly basis via upwork Bonus.

So, this month, I supposed to receive my payment yesterday but the client seems not active via messages and no reply yet from him. What do I have to do? I know I can wait and be patient, but I need to know what next I have to do if this client is gone forever. Thank you.

Another question, can I make another request payment for milestone of the same contract? I can't find this option, or maybe I don't know. Look forward to any help/ link where I can find this.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 13

If the client is gone forever, there is nothing you can do. You should report him so that Upwork knows he cheats freelancers, but the only way your payments are protected is to use the systems Upwork provides. When you use milestones, the client funds the milestone (puts the money in escrow) to help ensure that you get paid when you've done the job. If you agree to work without milestones, then you haven't given Upwork any way to protect you and it is totally up to the client whether to pay you or not.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 13

re: "Then client told me that from now on wards all my next payments will be paid on a monthly basis via upwork Bonus."

Ha ha. That's great. For the client.

If you and your client arranged for you to be paid via bonus payments, that means that the client may choose whether to pay you or not. It is entirely his choice.

re: "...but the client seems not active via messages and no reply yet from him. What do I have to do? I know I can wait and be patient, but I need to know what next I have to do if this client is gone forever."

What do you do?

There is not really anything you can do.

If you already asked once for payment, then that's it. The client will either choose to pay your. Or not.

Other than that, I would advise you to not accept a deal like that again in the future. It didn't work out for you well this time, did it?

As a practical matter... When you use Upwork, whether for fixed-price or hourly contracts, you should set things up with clients so that you get paid every week. That's what I always try to do.

rickyy10
4 of 13

re: "Then client told me that from now on wards all my next payments will be paid on a monthly basis via upwork Bonus."

Ha ha. That's great. For the client.

If you and your client arranged for you to be paid via bonus payments, that means that the client may choose whether to pay you or not. It is entirely his choice.

Hi Preston, your explanation is very clear to me and I'm quite worry now. Even a big client with a 4.85 star reputation have rights to do that? 

I think I will wait for 10 days, if there's no respond at all, I might report my client.  If I report them, will Upwork take an action for that? I mean I'm new and this client has good reputation.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 13

re "Even a big client with a 4.85 star reputation have rights to do that?"

Yes. Any client has a "right" to do that...

...if by that we mean that is how the Upwork client-side interface works.

It may not be "fair" or "moral" or "ethical" to promise a bonus payment and then not pay the freelancer. But that is how the system works. Bonus payments are purely "at will."

re: "If I report them, will Upwork take an action for that?"

Upwork will not take any action that will result in you getting paid a bonus if the client doesn't want to pay you a bonus.

rickyy10
6 of 13

re: "If I report them, will Upwork take an action for that?"

Upwork will not take any action that will result in you getting paid a bonus if the client doesn't want to pay you a bonus.

Hi Preston, you're so helpful. Thank you very much!

Actually, my work with this client is as a translator within a software that has "Work History" option and it's automatically count my earning this month. I have proof of conversation with this client, too.

Will that be helpful or not if I report them? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
7 of 13

re: "Will that be helpful or not if I report them?"

Sorry, but no.

You can try it if you want to, but everybody else here will tell you the same thing I'm telling you:

Neither Upwork software nor Upwork policies enforce any promise of bonus payments.

rickyy10
8 of 13

So, I still don't know what to do with my current contract with this client. Should I end this or just wait? The longer I wait, the lower JSS I will get. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 13

@Ricky R wrote:

So, I still don't know what to do with my current contract with this client. Should I end this or just wait? The longer I wait, the lower JSS I will get. 

How long has it been since the client last paid you? How long since you heard from the client?

You have a while (a couple of months) without payment before the contract starts to hurt your JSS, so you probably don't have to worry about that just yet.

rickyy10
10 of 13

How long has it been since the client last paid you? How long since you heard from the client?

You have a while (a couple of months) without payment before the contract starts to hurt your JSS, so you probably don't have to worry about that just yet.

The last time they paid & communicate with me was 30 days ago. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS